New iPad 3. Weak WiFi . Anyone else?

Voragon

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Netgear N600 iPad 2 strong signal same with phone and notebook all on same network. Now have iPad 3 and have only 1 or 2 bars for WiFi. IPad 2 uses 5.01 New iPad uses IOS 5.1. Os ver only difference. Have both iPads on now 5 bars for ipad2 And only 2 bars for iPad 3.

What to do? Appreciate any thoughts.

rzucker

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
No problems here. I have 2 MBP, 2 Iphones, 2 iPads, and ATV 3 all on the same network.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
no issues here and my home is basically an Apple store. iPhones, 2 iPads, iPod touch, mbp, apple tv all humming along. Everyone's playing nice.

St8kout

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
I took a walk outside with my iphone4 and ipad3 side by side (feeling a bit nerdy in front of the neighbors) and at the edge of my wifi access point range the ipad consistently had 1 bar more than my iphone. It didn't seem to matter which direction I was facing either.

Voragon

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. Relocated router.

Relocating router seems to have fixed problem. Wifi has 4 bars. Cellular connection is weak but I guess that goes with LTE and AT&T.

Mainely Jazz

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Weak Wi-Fi signal

I've been having the same problem. I've walked around the house with my iPad 1 and my iPad 3, and the iPad 1 has a full connection in places where the iPad 3 has no connection. I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router that reaches the entire house with two Mac laptops and a PC laptop, but the iPad 3 loses its signal and keeps jumping to the 4G.

Moving the router is not an option, nor should it be necessary.

I'm really unhappy about this.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I had bad result with my iPad, slow wifi an lte. Power cycle did not help, closing all my apps did not help. I was very unhappy, finally I did a reset of the iPad and the numbers are looking better. Here are my results you may want to give this a try.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332229432.661780.jpg

Velin

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
No problems with two recently purchased wi-fi only iPad 3s. Reception is solid even several rooms and multiple walls away from the router.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Yes, but inconclusive for me. I've seen hints its worse, but not done extensive experiments yet.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
My new iPad's Wi-Fi reception is terrible in comparison to my iPod Touch. There are sections in my house that do not have any Wi-Fi access. It's odd.

This is my first iPad so I thought I'd ask the question here? Will this be corrected in a software update or is it a hardware issue? I'm wondering whether to request a new unit.

Jbush36

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
Weak signal on iPad 3

I have compared iPad 1, iPad 2, and iPad 3 and when the signal is weaker the iPad 3 loses the signal while the iPad 1 and 2 was fine. we were in the same exact location. I had the att cellular turned on but had not subscribed yet. I contacted apple about this and the engineers are blaming the router. They wanted to take my iPad and replace it, but still aren't sure if there is a problem. so far they make it seem like it is not an issue. How many of you have had this issue?

irishgreenapple

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
Yes same weak wifi issues here too. Granted, probably don't have best router in the world but have no problems connecting with iPhones and MacBook. Tried everything- reset router, reset network settings on iPad, renewed lease etc etc etc. Nothing helps. Was so excited for new iPads and now are so frustrated & disappointed.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Guess I should have just replied here instead of inserting a newer thread above.
Ipad2 is perfect everywhere since day 1
Ipad3 was great since I purchased it on march 16 up until about the 23 rd. weak signal caused noticeable wifi fluctuation. Now , since about 30 hours ago I am running nice again. Fast and crisp. What the frig is up?
I. Plan on waiting until apple addresses this somehow instead of a replacement request right now.

Has anything been said by Apple yet?

Update - as of 2 pm eastern , about 3 days after noticing no further wifi fluctuations I can't help but wonder why I had a week ( week 1 ) of perfect signal strength then the a couple of days of weak signal . Again , the last 2 or 3 days have been good. ???

Last edited:

Gary86

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
No issues. I have 2 iPhones, iPad, 2 Macbooks, and 2 Apple TVs plus my wifes Kindle and PS3 with no issues.