New iPad 3. Weak WiFi . Anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Voragon, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Voragon macrumors member

Voragon

Netgear N600 iPad 2 strong signal same with phone and notebook all on same network. Now have iPad 3 and have only 1 or 2 bars for WiFi. IPad 2 uses 5.01 New iPad uses IOS 5.1. Os ver only difference. Have both iPads on now 5 bars for ipad2 And only 2 bars for iPad 3.

What to do? Appreciate any thoughts.

2. rzucker macrumors newbie

No problems here. I have 2 MBP, 2 Iphones, 2 iPads, and ATV 3 all on the same network.

3. pat park macrumors 6502a

no issues here and my home is basically an Apple store. iPhones, 2 iPads, iPod touch, mbp, apple tv all humming along. Everyone's playing nice.

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Five bars? I see five bars when using 3G, but only three in the WiFi icon when using WiFi.

Have you run a speed test on the 2 and 3 for comparison?

5. St8kout macrumors regular

I took a walk outside with my iphone4 and ipad3 side by side (feeling a bit nerdy in front of the neighbors) and at the edge of my wifi access point range the ipad consistently had 1 bar more than my iphone. It didn't seem to matter which direction I was facing either.

6. Voragon thread starter macrumors member

Voragon

Thanks for the feedback. Relocated router.

Relocating router seems to have fixed problem. Wifi has 4 bars. Cellular connection is weak but I guess that goes with LTE and AT&T.

7. Mainely Jazz macrumors newbie

Weak Wi-Fi signal

I've been having the same problem. I've walked around the house with my iPad 1 and my iPad 3, and the iPad 1 has a full connection in places where the iPad 3 has no connection. I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router that reaches the entire house with two Mac laptops and a PC laptop, but the iPad 3 loses its signal and keeps jumping to the 4G.

Moving the router is not an option, nor should it be necessary.

I'm really unhappy about this.

8. palmerized macrumors regular

Ya I am having only 1 bar of wifi. Had more with the iPad 1.

Tried restarting the router and renewing the DHCP lease but no luck.

9. clipper99 macrumors newbie

Same here, very poor wifi reception compared to my iPad 1. I also get dropped connections right in my home (wifi only iPad 3) where I never had a single issue on the iPad 1 in almost 2 years. Everyone experiencing this problem should post in the Apple communities forum. Here's a link to a thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3812929?start=0&tstart=0

10. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

The next iOS update will probably tweak the signal bar so it will show a constant four bars.
    :)

11. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

I had bad result with my iPad, slow wifi an lte. Power cycle did not help, closing all my apps did not help. I was very unhappy, finally I did a reset of the iPad and the numbers are looking better. Here are my results you may want to give this a try.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332229432.661780.jpg

12. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

No problems with two recently purchased wi-fi only iPad 3s. Reception is solid even several rooms and multiple walls away from the router.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, but inconclusive for me. I've seen hints its worse, but not done extensive experiments yet.

14. iOS-Update macrumors newbie

@rzucker - Woah, you've got a pretty neat set-up

15. Techwriter macrumors regular

My new iPad's Wi-Fi reception is terrible in comparison to my iPod Touch. There are sections in my house that do not have any Wi-Fi access. It's odd.

This is my first iPad so I thought I'd ask the question here? Will this be corrected in a software update or is it a hardware issue? I'm wondering whether to request a new unit.

16. Jbush36 macrumors newbie

Weak signal on iPad 3

I have compared iPad 1, iPad 2, and iPad 3 and when the signal is weaker the iPad 3 loses the signal while the iPad 1 and 2 was fine. we were in the same exact location. I had the att cellular turned on but had not subscribed yet. I contacted apple about this and the engineers are blaming the router. They wanted to take my iPad and replace it, but still aren't sure if there is a problem. so far they make it seem like it is not an issue. How many of you have had this issue?

17. irishgreenapple macrumors member

Yes same weak wifi issues here too. Granted, probably don't have best router in the world but have no problems connecting with iPhones and MacBook. Tried everything- reset router, reset network settings on iPad, renewed lease etc etc etc. Nothing helps. Was so excited for new iPads and now are so frustrated & disappointed.

18. Mikes2pads, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Guess I should have just replied here instead of inserting a newer thread above.
    Ipad2 is perfect everywhere since day 1
    Ipad3 was great since I purchased it on march 16 up until about the 23 rd. weak signal caused noticeable wifi fluctuation. Now , since about 30 hours ago I am running nice again. Fast and crisp. What the frig is up?
    I. Plan on waiting until apple addresses this somehow instead of a replacement request right now.

Has anything been said by Apple yet?

Update - as of 2 pm eastern , about 3 days after noticing no further wifi fluctuations I can't help but wonder why I had a week ( week 1 ) of perfect signal strength then the a couple of days of weak signal . Again , the last 2 or 3 days have been good. ???

19. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

How does wifi have 4 bars. The symbol only has three!

20. Gary86 macrumors member

No issues. I have 2 iPhones, iPad, 2 Macbooks, and 2 Apple TVs plus my wifes Kindle and PS3 with no issues.