New iPad 3 with No Physical Hardware Buttons

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JasonHD, Mar 28, 2011.

?

Would you prefer no physical buttons?

1. Yes, I want just the touch screen and nothing else!

14.0%
  2. No, I like the home and volume buttons!

53.7%
  3. Get rid of the home button and keep the volume rocker!

28.7%
  4. Keep the home button and remove the volume rocker!

3.7%
  1. JasonHD macrumors regular

Considering how the new multitouch gesture are going to be implemented on the iPad from iOS 4.3+, and how volume controls with mute and rotation lock have been added to the task switcher, it's logical to think Apple may be planning a new iPad with zero hardware keys. No home button, not even a volume rocker.

The question is, out of interest, who would prefer this? :)

2. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I for one have stopped using the home button almost completely and use the rockers and even the rotation lock less and less. So personally I wouldn't mind having them removed. Having said that, for many the physical controls are the more obvious and easier solution so that should be considered and i doubt Apple remove them any time soon.

3. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I think the home button is a very important feature of iOS for users that are absolute beginners. No matter now confused or disorientated a user gets in an App they know that pressing the button on the front will take them back to somewhere familiar.

I can't see Apple getting rid of the home button unless they have an alternative that is as easy and obvious. A gesture would be a nice addition for experienced users but it is far less obvious. An on-screen home button (as Honeycomb uses) would be a possibility, it's nearly as obvious as a physical home button and does have the advantage that it's always at the bottom of the screen no matter how you hold the tablet. However there are some drawbacks as well; firstly part of the screen would have to be reserved for the button and couldn't be used for content. Following on from that Apps would have to be modified to give up part of the screen when used on devices without a home button. Reliability may also be an issue, if a bug in an App causes the home button to disappear or stop working then the user would be stuck without any way of getting out short of a reboot.

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

I want volume and lock, can do without home button.

But in the current implementation, you still need to press the home button after deleting an app to lock the position of the icons. You could also hit the power button, but that is even less user friendly.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

That's how I think it should be, even though that's not how I voted. It would help if i read all the poll options before voting, eh?

6. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I want that home button. I make liberal use of it, especially 3 taps for inverted colors. I think the button placement and numbering is pretty perfect, but if you HAVE to lose buttons, he volume rocker would be it, since that's easily software replaceable. But seriously, I wouldn't want to lose it either.

7. mgchan macrumors member

how would you turn it on or force a reboot when something crashes

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Just hold down the power button.

9. Meever macrumors 6502a

I don't really see how having more options is a bad thing? I barely use the home button as well, but in the rare occasion I use it I'm glad it's there XD

And there's no way I woud want lock switch and volume buttons gone. It makes no sense to swipe around for several seconds to lower/raise volume when you could simply just press a button.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Oh dear, quite a dilemma. I'm sure Apple's team of hardware and software engineers won't be able to find a way around this one! ;)

11. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I think that would cause more problems than it could potentially solve. We're not ready to ditch buttons entirely.

12. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

This blog post does a good job of describing some of the problems and disadvantages of multi-tasking gestures as currently proposed. It also suggests an interesting solution, use the touchscreen in combination with the home button. So hold the home button down and swipe up to get the task list, and swipe left and right to swap between Apps. That gives people access to the shortcuts without interfering with Apps that use multi-touch already.

13. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

You can also launch an app from the task switcher to end the wiggling but I wish the five finger pinch would stop them too. It's the only use I have for the home button anymore.

You guys should also remember the home button works as a quick menu for the accessibility features (triple click)

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I want both. I enjoy pressing the home when need-be and like the volume buttons

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

The iPad2 JUST came out, and you're already making speculation threads for the iPad3 ... ?
    :rolleyes:

16. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

No. I like the buttons. I was extremely frustrated when 4.2 took away the option for orientation lock and made the switch a mute button instead. Having to double-click the home button, swipe to the right, then hit the orientation lock icon was incredibly tedious.

I realize that more multi-touch features might replace this, but sometimes it's just easier to flick the switch.

17. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I like the buttons. Would rather press a button to go home and have the double and triple click options vs. doing gestures.

Volume buttons are a must as it's quicker to turn down volume quickly in public rather than having to go into a menu etc.

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am not sure whether you are joking or not

Making speculation threads about the NEXT apple device is probably one of the most common things done on this site.

So, yes...I would say this person is as most users do here

19. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

this is macrumors.com if you didn't know

20. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

+1 when the iPhone lacked physical volume controls, people whined until the 3G got them, those same people will be the ones to whine when and if the iPad loses the volume control buttons.

I for one can live without them, but it'd take getting used to.....the home button is too iconic, on both the portables<iPhone ipodtouch> and the iPads , so I never see the home button going anywhere.

21. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i like the home and power buttons
    and if the volume buttons would work with a clever and fully featured gesture that was reliable - like the SBS settings menu in JB IP4.. it would be great

but i am so used to the home button

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You could get a helluva good look at a T-bone steak by sticking your head up a bull's arse, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.

Yes, you *can* do all of those uber-simple things with some gestures. But do we really need to have that as the only option? I say NO WAY. Outside of these threads, I have never heard anything close to, "You know, what the iPad really needs if fewer buttons."

I'm also really wanting to hear the explanation as for how you are supposed to do a hard reset without buttons. My BD player has touch buttons on it, and those are fine since I can always reset it with an unplug. But they don't always respond when touched and I wouldn't want to wait for my battery to die to do something I can already do.

Leave my buttons alone!

23. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

When did the iPhone lack volume controls?

24. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I imagine the buttons stay, if for no other than accessibility reasons.