New Ipad 4 - "Quick" Reboot? Maybe?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tbcmlwacki, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Tbcmlwacki macrumors newbie

Well, i was using my recently purchased Ipad 4 (Aug 3rd). And, like I always do, i open up Spotify, turn on some radio and browse some Reddit on AlienBlue.

Sometimes if I don't like a song being played I use the 4 finger swipe to access Spotify quickly, and change it. but for some reason when i went to go and swipe it locked up for a quick second, and went to the Apple logo for maybe 4 seconds,

Then returned to my homescreen, but the screen was a lot darker then i remember setting it, I go and check my brightness and it's at the halfway mark, so like 45 - 50% brightness. i tap the brightness toggle and it reverts back to the actual brightness it was set at previously.

I went to check my usage since i was trying to get some good battery life out of it and for some reason, it's just showing a " - " on both on/standby parts. even though i was at about 11 hours on each thing.

Sorry if this is hard to read, but it's my first time owning an ipad and I just want to make sure I don't have to return it, i mean I'm still in the 14 day return / exchange window so I could do an exchange for a fresh unit.

All comments are welcomed! :p

2. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Hey dude, I know exactly what you are talking about, and I hope I answer your question well enough (I am 13 and I fix iPhones and iPads, and I don't have a life of anything other than tech ;)).

Basically, the locking up / apple logo was a crash. This happens when too much ram is consumed and the device needs to reboot anyway to clear most of it up, and it also needs all background apps that are unnecessary to be closed. It's frequent with a lot of jail broken devices. This also can happen with a bug with the app itself, or even the install of the OS. Both can be fixed easily. If it is a bug with the app itself, force close it or even re install it. If you are afraid of losing data or in app purchases, that solution doesn't work, or other stuff crash, back up your iPad in iTunes, and restore to the backup you made.

As for the brightness, if you have auto brightness on, the ambient light sensor was detecting lower light, therefore causing the brightness to be lower. If you want it to always be brighter, turn auto brightness off.

As for the battery time indicator, since your device turned off, it reset, and it will be back to normal once you charge your iPad to 100%. That way it will tell your usage.

If any problems persist, just backup and restore. Nothing is wrong with the device, and it seems all is well for your iPad. If you don't know how to clear apps, just slide 4 fingers from bottom up until it shows a multitasking bar with recently opened apps. Hold your finger on the app, and they will start to wiggle. Tap on the red - sign, and it will clear everything. Good luck, and please keep us posted!

3. Tbcmlwacki thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback, weird thing was is that I only had those two apps open, and this isn't my first time owning an Apple device so I know the ins and outs ( not to sound cocky ) wired thing was is I also had my auto-brightness off from day one since I got it. So basically my only question was is this something to worry about, and you answered it more professionally than I ever could.

Thanks for the reply. And I feel a lot more comfortable knowing this isn't something that could possibly ruin my product.

Thanks again!

Edit: my ipad isn't jailbroken as well. Just thought I'd say that.

4. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

No problem! In case you have any other problems, just send me a pm