New iPad 64GB AT&T LTE - delivery 3/26!

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
You're right, Apple has always let you order online and then they email you when it's ready for pickup. Except for huge releases on launch day, for those they email you the day before letting you know it'll be ready the next day. And no, I didn't call a Apple customer support rep, I talked to an Apple Store manager in person as I bought a Smart Cover for my new iPad. He said they would go on sale in the morning, and there will be lines, though how the lines are handled depends on how many early birds there are lined up in the morning.

airmax922

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
San Leandro
Off topic but how is your iPad $812?
I placed a bunch of orders thru our Custom Apple web store on the launch day! on Friday, majority of those orders get cancelled and my Business Sales Rep told me that new iPad not suppose to have discount yet. so if you get yours, then good for you. I end up get 3 out of 23 thru the crack!

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I didn't want to take the risk of getting it delivered late, like MANY have, so yes, it does make sense.
Each to their own, and maybe the situation's been different in the UK (would be helpful if your profile mentioned that), but in the US the risk of late courier delivery is FAR less than the risk of walking away from a store empty handed. In fact the only way in the past be assured of launch day success in-store was to line up for hours.

possibly waiting in all day for a delivery from a courier
I'll be home all day anyway working from my home office. Far easier for me to stay home than to go stand in line for hours, since with delivery there's no need to take off from work.

sartios

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
London
Each to their own, and maybe the situation's been different in the UK (would be helpful if your profile mentioned that), but in the US the risk of late courier delivery is FAR less than the risk of walking away from a store empty handed. In fact the only way in the past be assured of launch day success in-store was to line up for hours.

I'll be home all day anyway working from my home office. Far easier for me to stay home than to go stand in line for hours, since with delivery there's no need to take off from work.
Fair enough, but like I say I got the iPad 2 in and out in 10 mins last year.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
How did you get your ipad2 on launch day in 10 minutes?? It takes longer than 10 minutes just to get a mac person to come and ask you what did you want to buy.

I waited in line around 11am and by 5pm, there were around 600+ people in line. I didn't even get to buy one of the model I was looking for: 32GB White WIFI and 16GB White wifi (was available).

Unless you were at an apple store that didn't 'have any customers, I still can't see how you were able to get an iPad 2 on launch day within 10 minutes. Maybe I need to re-read previous threads...

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'm pretty sure the iPad2 UK launch last year was a week and a half after the US launch. That may well have contributed to the differing experiences on each side of the Atlantic.