Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
My grandmother got a new iPad and after setting it up for her, I noticed that it has a sporadic screen flicker on the top 1/5 or so of the screen. Rebooting, OS update and adjusting other settings doesn’t fix it. The box seemed to have dents, indicating it was possibly dropped, so I suspect maybe a display cable may be loose.

I’ve seen videos of people able to fix this by pressing on the rear of the iPad to try to reseat the cable. Before I have her bring it back to Apple to look at, I was just going to ask a few things.

1.) is this common among other iPads that it’s a known display defect?
2.) has anyone ever fixed the issue themselves, that didn’t require opening it up?

Appreciate any feedback.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
My grandmother got a new iPad and after setting it up for her, I noticed that it has a sporadic screen flicker on the top 1/5 or so of the screen. Rebooting, OS update and adjusting other settings doesn’t fix it. The box seemed to have dents, indicating it was possibly dropped, so I suspect maybe a display cable may be loose.

I’ve seen videos of people able to fix this by pressing on the rear of the iPad to try to reseat the cable. Before I have her bring it back to Apple to look at, I was just going to ask a few things.

1.) is this common among other iPads that it’s a known display defect?
2.) has anyone ever fixed the issue themselves, that didn’t require opening it up?

Appreciate any feedback.

Just another lemon. Apple will happily replace it for you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.