New iPad 9.7 inch vs iPad mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ssledoux, May 10, 2017.

1. ssledoux macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Which would you go with? Which has better specs? I haven't really looked much into the new 9.7 inch iPad because it's for my grandson and I had just planned to get him another mini, but at the price point, I might go bigger.

Input?

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I think you have to consider the size factor for portability and mobility for your grandson.

Otherwise, the 2017 iPad is what I would recommend based on battery life and for the price point, I think it's a great deal. It Has an updated A9 processor. The battery life is rated a 10 hours

The Mini 4 wins in the handling section. However, has an older A8 processor. And the battery life is also rated at 10 hours.

Both iPads are great, but they both serve different purposes based on size ultimately is what it comes down to.

3. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Well he has a mini 4, but I'm gonna hand that one down to his sister to replace her mini 2. I'm gradually trying to replace all their (my grandchildren's) iPads with newer ones. I think he'd be pretty pumped over having a bigger one!

4. Dualvansmommy macrumors newbie

My boys have iPad mini 4, and not sure of your grandsons age. But imo, it's the perfect size for their little hands and eyes. Less chance of dropping it too, I would think! However since it's an upgrade, I would go for the new 9.7 since he already has mini 4 as both are more or less same price with one running better battery over the other.

5. Math889 macrumors 65816

I would go with the Mini 4.It has an anti reflective display, which the 2017 ipad doesnt have. and its less heavier too

6. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Thanks for the input. I wound up going with the new iPad for him, but I'm replacing one of the other 2s for one of my other granddaughters and am going with a mini 4 for her because his is a bit big for her tiny self, especially by the time I add one of the kid cases.

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

The speakers on the Mini drive me crazy. They don't work out for me as the higher volumes cause them to distort and sound tinny.

If the larger size isn't an issue, you're getting a better deal with the 9.7.

Ah, I see you decided to do that. How does he like it?

8. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Oh gosh he loves it! He's about to turn 6, so I was wondering if it would seem too big, but he's not complaining!
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2017 ---
    Now you have me wondering if I should do the same for my granddaughter to replace her mini 2, but she's not quite 4, and she is just so little I feel like it would be huge!

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Well, how about seeing her use his for just a few minutes if you can get him to share it? Then you'll see first hand how well she handles it?

10. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Yeah I think I need to do that. Right now I'm just trying to unload some of the used ones to help pay for this next one!

11. off_piste macrumors 6502a

My three-year old (turns four in July) has used our old iPad 3 for two years now. It's a brick but she manages just fine.

12. Radon87000 macrumors 601

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

depends on what size you rather have...specs wise the 9.7 is the better option i feel

14. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I think the granddaughter will adjust just fine to the larger display. Especially when it comes to watching her favorite movies or playing her games and such on a larger screen. Having her test the grandsons new iPad is a great idea. You can also just ask her which one she likes better.

15. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

I wound up getting her the mini 4. She used the bigger one, but it just looked too big, and we bring them places all the time, so I think my daughters just didn't want a bunch of the bigger ones. Right now, he'll have the big one because he's the oldest and biggest, and we will move them up in a couple years.

For now, the mini 4 has such a better display than the 2 that I think she'll enjoy it just fine.

Thanks for the input!