New iPad. Abnormal light leak?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nick16, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Nick16 macrumors regular

Is this light leak, clearly visible at the top of my iPad when viewed at an angle, "normal"?

Attached Files:

2. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

No that is not normal, I had the same thing but not as severe as yours, they will replace it without any hassle. How did you notice it and is it visible under normal viewing?

3. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

I noticed it when I had it sitting flat on a table, and leaned back on the couch. Yes it's perfectly visible under any viewing conditions, night or day, etc. I don't know if I need to or should replace it because I'm not too bothered. I'm more bothered by the fact that things like this happen with Apple than by the fact that it happened to me.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yeah definitely not normal but that's an extreme angle which is why it doesn't bother you and it wouldn't bother me as well. And from a fellow Floridian:

Go Canes ! :D

5. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

Canes fan also lol, Where did you get that wallpaper?

For the price you pay on an iPad I would have them replace it. Just my opinion anyway.

6. Jackintosh, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

It is normal. I have the same situation and when evaluated by my local Apple genius bar, it's considered within spec. I have to agree with them, since it has no affect whatsoever on the display. Sure, if you view the edges at an abnormal angle you'll see some light leak, but it has absolutely no affect on the display.

7. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

Right, it has absolutely no impact on my use/experience with the iPad. If anything it'd bother me knowing it's there, but I'm not so picky about things like that as I used to be.

Regarding the Canes: Class of 2016 right here! :D I don't remember where I got the wallpaper so I uploaded it: http://db.tt/Ww5Nzi7m

Edit: Actually here's where I got it: http://collegesportsnation.com/acc-atlantic-coast-conference/miami-hurricanes/

8. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

It's comments like these that give Apple all the more power to think 'away with QC because people don't really care' :rolleyes:

We pay good money for these devices and no, it's not 'normal'. It is a manufacturing defect that should not be accepted because the more people that accept these kind of things, the worse the QC will get.... if that's at all possible.

To the OP, my first iPad 3 had the same thing and they replaced it no questions asked. I was within the 14 exchange period.
    I mean, if you really don't give a ****, then leave it. However, if it bothers you, even in the slightest, get it exchanged. But please, don't believe that these kind of defects are 'normal' because really, they're not.

9. rahul247rocks macrumors member

rahul247rocks

Looks like the retina screen is messed up. Happens when the LCD liquid gets splattered inside. They will change it!

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

He said it doesn't bother him an honestly if it were my machine it wouldn't bother me either because it's an extreme angle and even more so in portrait mode which I never use.

11. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You "pay good money" for a perfectly functioning device. If the defect affects the function of the device, I absolutely agree with holding Apple accountable. If I have to go extreme measures to see a so-called "defect", and it in no way interferes with performance or usage, it is NOT a defect.

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I'm sorry, but yes it is. When it was not planned to be that way and the majority of them do not have the issue, it is a defect - plain and simple. Take it back and request a replacement. Call the 1-800 number and escalate it to Customer Care if you have to, but I wouldn't anticipate having to do that as it IS clearly a defect and they will probably agree with it.

13. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

It's like buying a brand new car with a rip in the seat , not visible as the rip is at the bottom . After time wear and tear will eventually make that small rip into something worse.
    We may even say the same thing about the OP screen, with heat and extensive use, it may only get worse where it does become visible with a lot of light leak.

14. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Looks like apple "kwality" standards are slipping.

15. mtj111 macrumors member

By that logic would you also not mind a cluster of 20 dead pixels, as long as they were near the corner?

16. Rodster macrumors 68040

I don't follow your example? He said if he has to go out of his way to find a defect. A cluster of 20 defect pixels would be noticed quite easily. :)

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I could also say that in time, the light leak might lead to a nuclear meltdown. My point is, is that a made up "possibility", or do we know that that could happen? If light leak leads to additional problems, then by all means take it back. I've been on these boards a while now, and I've read NOTHING to suggest that it is a worsening problem.

Reading is fundamental.

I very clearly said that if I have to go out of my way to notice the problem, it's not a defect. Can you actually have 20 dead pixels near the corner that were only visible if you viewed the iPad in extreme conditions? I'm guessing not, which would make it an actual problem, as opposed to a light leak "issue" which in moderation is common to LCD displays of all kinds.

If you have to scrutinize a product under extraordinary conditions in order to find a "defect", it is not a defect, at least not to most sane humans using their iPad under ordinary conditions. If you're going to go to such extremes to find defects, then one should pry the back off the thing and make sure there are no smudges or scratches on the inside of the back cover.

18. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

And it's comments like this that come fom people who don't have common sense. For them, they scour everthing they buy looking for the slightest minutae to complain about, whether it affects functionality or not. They cause this to become a hyper-obsessive society concentrating on materialistic perfection.

19. -TYLER macrumors regular

I just checked my iPad that I bought last week, and it has the same thing in one spot. I probably can't do anything though since I bought it refurbished.

20. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you bought it from Apple you have 14 days to return it and 1 year warranty. You can get an exchange if it bothers you enough.

I just discovered one of my Sony PSP's where there's light leakage thru one of the buttons. :D

21. macbook123 macrumors 68000

God, will this quality control mayhem ever end?

22. bobright macrumors 601

23. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

Did you buy from Apple? If so, you still have 14 days to exchange. Plus, you have a 1 year warranty the same as when buying a new iPad.

24. noteple macrumors 65816

If bothers you enough to write about it I guess you should return it.

As to the level of quality control.

The factory has a quota for production.

The workers are judged by how many flaw free pieces they produce, however quantity always struggles with quality.

If you reject more pieces on the line your quantity suffers compared to your peers.

If you pass more pieces on the line your quality suffers compared to your peers.

That quality stat takes a little while to catch up to you. You would have to be gigged by final QA multiple times and by then you would just change your ways for a shift or two.

LCD screens are sourced from multiple manufactures. Some are a Lot worse than others.
    Since the backlight is part of the panel the line worker doesn't have much of a choice.

If one of lets say three companies has a shoddy LCD product, with lots of bleed and those are the only parts for assembly, the line worker takes the hit in productivity and pay if they are subjectively rejected.

You on the other hand, have 14 days to do your final quality assessment.

If it doesn't meet your standards, it's your money, vote with your wallet.

Reminds me of buying 4 medium ice cream cones for the kids.
    I will inevitable hear "Hey not fair, his is bigger than mine".