Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The next-generation iPad Air is now reportedly shipping to the United States and other countries in preparation for launch.

iPad-Air-5.jpg

The rumor comes from the leaker known as "Instant Digital," who claims that manufacturers in China are now shipping the 2024 iPad Air in two sizes to overseas locations. "Everything is ready" for launch, the Weibo user says.

The sixth-generation iPad Air is rumored to feature the M2 chip, a redesigned rear camera, and specification upgrades like Bluetooth 5.3 and Wi-Fi 6E. Most significantly, the iPad Air is expected to come in two sizes for the first time, just like the Apple Watch, iPad Pro, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro. One of the size options will be the same as the previous two generations at 10.9-inches, while the new addition to the lineup will apparently mirror the iPad Pro's 12.9-inch model.

Recent reports coming out of Asia suggest that Apple will announce new iPad models on Tuesday, March 26. According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple plans to release new iPad Air and iPad Pro models around the end of March or in April. The latest indications suggest that the new iPad Pro are now more likely to see a launch in April.

Article Link: New iPad Air Now Shipping From China Ahead of Announcement

• Wow
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Are they still going to rip us off with 64GB base storage and have the only upgrade option be 256GB which is overkill for many people. Why not offer a 128GB version?

I like the iPad but the line up is a mess.
absolutely. The fact that Apple still thinking 64gb is acceptable is gross. I love Apple products but I cannot stand Tim Cook.

Also *cries in wanting an iPad mini 7*

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I’d be amazed if they up it to 128.
It seems like they just want to force you up to the next model. Ideally I want to buy a 128GB standard iPad but base Air is about the same. 64GB is a joke so I would need to go for 256GB which is too much. At that price I might as well just get a base iPad Pro 11" with 128GB.

Instead of spending £499 I'd spend £899. I want to buy one for my girlfriend whose iPad is getting really slow now but the price are insane. the iPad is her main device when not using a smartphone. Maybe it's time we look elsewhere. Maybe the Samsung tablets are worth buying or getting a cheap laptop (that doesn't include a MacBook Air).

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
It seems like they just want to force you up to the next model. Ideally I want to buy a 128GB standard iPad but base Air is about the same. 64GB is a joke so I would need to go for 256GB which is too much. At that price I might as well just get a base iPad Pro 11" with 128GB.

Instead of spending £499 I'd spend £899. I want to buy one for my girlfriend whose iPad is getting really slow now but the price are insane. the iPad is her main device when not using a smartphone. Maybe it's time we look elsewhere. Maybe the Samsung tablets are worth buying or getting a cheap laptop (that doesn't include a MacBook Air).
At that price you might as well get her an M1 or even an M2 air. iPads are just too expensive and with the software limitations, not worth it.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
At that price you might as well get her an M1 or even an M2 air. iPads are just too expensive and with the software limitations, not worth it.
a macbook seems overkill for her but i guess i can see if there are any good deals. if not then probably a galaxy tablet or chromebook. doesn't need to be anything crazy. she's just so used to iPad OS and the whole apple ecosystem. we'll figure it out :)

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
a macbook seems overkill for her but i guess i can see if there are any good deals. if not then probably a galaxy tablet or chromebook. doesn't need to be anything crazy. she's just so used to iPad OS and the whole apple ecosystem. we'll figure it out :)
I hear good things about pixel tablet.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
absolutely. The fact that Apple still thinking 64gb is acceptable is gross. I love Apple products but I cannot stand Tim Cook.

Also *cries in wanting an iPad mini 7*
It's fine for starting out; but if you're upgrading to a newer device, then you'll want more. My 2nd-gen iPhone SE is 64 GB, and lately I have to balance a bit on the apps and media files. Plus, since it's my main camera, every several months I move older photos I take onto backup drives to reclaim some storage space. When I'm ready to upgrade in hopefully a couple years from now, I'll definitely be going for an iPhone with at least 128 GB of storage, and I'll be ready to move up from an SE (not a "Plus" or "Pro" model, though).
My 7th gen iPad I also got with 128 GB of storage, since 32 GB is definitely not enough for my needs. But 128 is slightly more than enough. And when I replace it (likely with a newer "regular" iPad) I'm likely going to have to get one with 256 GB of storage.

Also, don't forget that in a Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror" special, Tim Cook turned out to be a plant alien wearing a human disguise!
1710857127589.png

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I wasn't expecting the iPad Air this soon. Anyhow, I am hoping for three entry level storage tiers for the different classes of iPads. However, I'm thinking the prices will rise if they increase the base storage tiers:

US$899 - 256 GB - iPad Pro
US$649 - 128 GB - iPad Air
US$549 - 128 GB - iPad mini
US$449 - 64 GB - iPad
US$329 - 64 GB - Old iPad

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Definitely has limitations compared to a macbook air, but I use the Pro 12.9 M1 and am able to do a large majority of my tasks on it, I'd say 90-95%, most of it on the web or web apps. But when you compare the 1000 nits of brightness vs the 500 or 600, for my eyes it's worth it. The remaining work I do is on a laptop/27 monitor but I'm not on it as much as the ipad.

weyvyug

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
As a native speaker, I can gurantee what Instant Digital mentioned (壳膜厂家) is the manufacturers of iPad’s screen protector and the cases, instead of the manufacturer of iPad itself.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020

Just a heads up, the M1 MBA is on sale for $649 at BestBuy

Last edited:
Reactions: Dopestar

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Are they still going to rip us off with 64GB base storage and have the only upgrade option be 256GB which is overkill for many people. Why not offer a 128GB version?

I like the iPad but the line up is a mess.
Agreed. The iPad lineup is meticulously calculated to an obnoxious level. The whole lineup is deliberately held back to not intrude on the sales of something more expensive, leaving lots of unrealized potential and products that aren't as good as they could've been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.