Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JR86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Hi all.

My Ipad (1) was stolen a week ago. So I am looking for a new one.

I am doubting between the Air and the Mini with retina screen.

Since yesterday I found out that a comic serie my dad used to collect when I was young and I used to read is availeble with an app :).

Would the smaller screen with the mini bother you reading comics or no problem at all ( I never read a comic on Ipad.

Advise?

Barhen

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
The mini is too small for reading comics, the air is better as a comic reader. The extra couple inches makes a big difference in the comic book's readability.

Bryanw3535

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
I can second this. I use the Marvel Unlimited and comics are much more enjoyable on the Air than the rMini.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
While I use the retina mini and personally strongly prefer it to the Air in general, I think I would prefer the Air if I used the device for comics. I did get one comic graphic novel, and it seemed small on the mini.

Americasteam

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2014
Not to mention the reduced color gamut on the mini would be a real bummer when reading comics. Yes, I've owned the mini. ;O)

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I have my mini and love it, but for your purpose you would be doing yourself a disservice by not getting the Air. The bigger size is a preference thing, but the decreased color gamut really is a big drawback. It is VERY noticeable, and you would not be seeing the comics in their true color.

Air all the way.

Bryanw3535

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
The retina mini ipad is perfect for reading comics. It's also more portable than the ipad Air.

More portable, yes, but bigger's gotta be better with fixed-size text. When text can adapt to fill the space, it's fine. But comics don't have that, so you're stuck zooming in and out manually.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
More portable, yes, but bigger's gotta be better with fixed-size text. When text can adapt to fill the space, it's fine. But comics don't have that, so you're stuck zooming in and out manually.

Actually if you use any of the apps powered by Comixology on the app store (Comics, DC or Marvel app) they use a "guided reading interface" which zooms in on each panel as you read. I have both an iPad 3 and just got a retina mini and I can read comics on either without issue. If you are using a generic comic reading apps for comics downloaded outside of the app store (in .cbr or .pdf) than the full size iPad Air may be the better choice. Also the colors in comics are not that complex that the reduced color gamut of the mini should make that big a difference.

BTW - If you are using a Comixology based app I suggest using the Comics app as you can access all the publishers (DC, Marvel, Bongo, etc) using only the one app.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I read infinity gauntlet on my iPad retina Mini a few days ago. Was great. I love my mini for reading.

Backegg

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Wirral, UK
I use the iPad air for comic reading (using the DC Comics app). I agree with many of the comments above, the mini would be too small to allow you to enjoy the comics fully.

Bryanw3535

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Actually if you use any of the apps powered by Comixology on the app store (Comics, DC or Marvel app) they use a "guided reading interface" which zooms in on each panel as you read. I have both an iPad 3 and just got a retina mini and I can read comics on either without issue. If you are using a generic comic reading apps for comics downloaded outside of the app store (in .cbr or .pdf) than the full size iPad Air may be the better choice. Also the colors in comics are not that complex that the reduced color gamut of the mini should make that big a difference.

BTW - If you are using a Comixology based app I suggest using the Comics app as you can access all the publishers (DC, Marvel, Bongo, etc) using only the one app.

True. I've been using Marvel Unlimited, though, and it has "Smart Panels," which is a poor man's guided view. It's terrible, though, so the only way to read on that app is full-size.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008

Retina display really negates that point. It IS slightly bigger on the bigger screen but it is perfectly readable on the retina mini screen - even low res comics are!

----------

Hi all.

My Ipad (1) was stolen a week ago. So I am looking for a new one.

I am doubting between the Air and the Mini with retina screen.

Since yesterday I found out that a comic serie my dad used to collect when I was young and I used to read is availeble with an app :).

Would the smaller screen with the mini bother you reading comics or no problem at all ( I never read a comic on Ipad.

Advise?

I have an iPad Mini Retina and my main use it reading comics. It's fantastic and I prefer it to my old 4th Gen iPad. The retina screen is clear as day for text without zooming AND it's more portable AND it's cheaper. Perfect. Ignore the 'colour gamut' stuff. I've noticed nothing even when it's side by side with a friends iPad Air. Folk are just SUPER picky.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like my mini for comics, though I never saw how well the Air would do with it. I think either would work, and it depends if you want a smaller product or the larger one.

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
I have owned the iPad, iPad 2 and iPad 3rd generation and, when it was time to upgrade, I struggled between an Air and a retina mini because I really, really wanted something smaller that I would personally find more portable, but I am a heavy comic reader - approximately 30 titles per week.

I thought the mini would be far too small. But, I can safely say, it's not. It's perfect. If your eyesight is TERRIBLE then maybe you might struggle, but I doubt it. I have no hesitation in recommending the mini for comics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.