iPad New iPad Air: Same size as my iPad 3 but not enough space...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhillyAnt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. PhillyAnt macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

I purchased my 64 GB iPad air today. Any idea why I am getting an error message about not having enough space when trying to sync (restore) it? My iPad 3 syncs fine. This is saying I need to clear almost 4GB worth of stuff off of it. Does this iPad come with more crap in its hard drive? I don't understand why it isn't working. I have iOS 7 on both deices but I have less space available on my new iPad air.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, delete some stuff and tell us.

Not sure if iWork (Pages, Keynote and Numbers) and the other Apple apps come preinstalled. It needs free space to install apps (think like a zip file it has to extract).

3. PhillyAnt thread starter macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

I was just digging around and for some reason my air has 45.2gb oh photos and my iPad 3 has 23gb. It seems like there are a lot of double in my new air. No idea why it is doing that. Maybe I should restore it?

4. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Yea can it be iphoto and camera roll syncing double?

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

The iPhoto app (which I think is what you're referring to on the iPad) syncs from the Camera roll app and not iTunes (unless you specifically mark individual images).

Most likely the OP has his photo stream downloading to his Air where on the 3, it wouldn't have downloaded for pictures already in place in the camera roll.

I would disable photo stream, go to iPhoto on Mac or pictures on windows, see total size of picture sync, sync them to the Air, wait for it to finish, then enable photo stream on iPad. I'd try it to see if this works - no promises.

6. ScottW1, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

ScottW1 macrumors regular

One possibility, as this happened to me.... You probably had iTunes set to sync a Sub-Folder of photos from your computer to your iPad3. When you connected the new iPad Air, iTunes likely decided to sync the entire parent folder (i.e., All Photos on your computer).

Attach the new ipad, go to the Photos tab in iTunes, and check to see that only the subfolder you want synced is selected for syncing.

7. PhillyAnt thread starter macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

thanks for your thoughts everyone. I am going to play with it a little more but to be honest, I am not sure that I am going to keep this new iPad. Right now it just doesn't seem like a worthy upgrade.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I had quite a bit of difficulty restoring my old iPad backup onto the Air. I deleted the iPod Photo Cache folder and resynced my pictures. That seemed to help.

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

When you figure it out please chime back in and let us know why you don't think it might not be a "worthy" upgrade when you get the time.

10. PhillyAnt thread starter macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Well the biggest reason is my iPad 3 works just fine. It has never felt slow to me. I never had any problems with it. It just works. Yes, the iPad air is faster but its not really anything that is making my user experience more enjoyable. I have about 100 apps on the iPad and maybe use 15 of them frequently (yes I really need to clean things up). They never seem slow. Both iPads have the same amount of hard drive space so nothing is different there. I think Apple is being a real jerk about not updating the hard drive sizes and price points. 128GB would have made this feel like more of an upgrade. It's nice that the air is lighter but it makes it feel fragile to me. Just another thing I need to get used to I guess. I am just not feeling like this is an upgrade that was worth the $325 I spent on it.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Similar thing happened with me, but with videos. Both my 3 and Air are 32 GB models. When I bought my Air and restored it, it said I was overcapacity putting the exact same stuff onto it as my iPad 3.

What I had to do was sync my music, photos, and apps first. Then in a separate sync put the TV episodes I wanted onto the Air after restoring it again.

12. PhillyAnt thread starter macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Thanks for the feedback. I am really considering spending the extra $100 for the 128gb version at this point. Apple is so good at their evil powers of making people spend way more than they should on their products lol