Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roosterman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2022
Given the similar specs….is the new ipad Air (M2 chip) really worth double the cost of the 10th gen iPad. Advice please?

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Given the similar specs….is the new ipad Air (M2 chip) really worth double the cost of the 10th gen iPad. Advice please?
People could probably advise if you specify the type of usage. Might also depend on whether some folks want the additional functionality (and cost) of the new pro pencil and magic keyboard.

DerKommissar

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Honestly? I don't think so. The only real drawback of the 10th gen compared to the air, to me, is the 4 gb of ram. That will likely obsolete the device long before the processor will. But at almost half the price, it can also afford to not be in use as long.

Reactions: ric22

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
The 128GB base storage as well as 8GB of ram, Much better P3, better speakers, and laminated display/thinner bezels makes it worth double the price against iPad 10.. in Middle East its only like 1.5 times higher price, not double, and the iPad Air Features itself is in middle or even closer to the Pro (except 120hz and oled) so making it worth it to buy again.. even the older iPad Air M1 is better choice just for 8gb ram alone for sure the older m1 iPad air will drop the price

Roosterman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2022
Thanks for the replies. Most important for me is screen (general internet browsing, Netflix etc). I didn’t realise there was a significant difference between the screens on the 10th gen and the new iPad Air. Maybe I need to compare then more closely.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Thanks for the replies. Most important for me is screen (general internet browsing, Netflix etc). I didn’t realise there was a significant difference between the screens on the 10th gen and the new iPad Air. Maybe I need to compare then more closely.
I honestly doubt you'd notice the difference.. when the time comes just have a look in person

Reactions: DerKommissar

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
I think the screen is pretty good on the 10th gen. It's definitely better on the air but that doesn't mean the 10th gen's screen is bad by any means. I was debating between the 10th gen and the 5th gen air but decided on the 10th gen and I'm very happy with it. I mostly am using mine for media consumption so I don't need anything too fancy.

Edit: I ended up returning the 10th gen and got the 5th gen air. After reading all the comments and watching some videos on the two, I realized it was worth the extra $50 to upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerKommissar

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I on my second 9th gen and had the 10th and have the Air 5…

In my opinion the Air is definitely worth the upgrade. Regular iPads force refresh tabs eventually and it is annoying. The Air is a great tablet, my only real complaint being power button fingerprint reader vs Face ID on the Pros.

mcru21

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
M1 iPad Air on sale for 399-449 (depending on color) right now on amazon. might be worth considering as well.

DerKommissar

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
I honestly doubt you'd notice the difference.. when the time comes just have a look in person
I think it's a real subtle difference, and one you won't notice after you leave the store and are not looking at them side by side. From actual use, the only real impact of the screen is that the pencil is just a tad above the screen when you write, but it's fine for note taking (which is all I do). The only other impact I've felt so far of going with the 10th gen is that some poorly written websites struggle without the extra ram/swap space that the Air would have.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
The base Air has double the RAM, double the SSD, a better screen, better speakers, supports the Pencil Pro, and has faster USB-C. If none of that maters to you, get the cheaper iPad 10.

The iPad 10th gen gets function keys on the keyboard though 🤔

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It makes a huge difference. To me the iPad 10 also feels cheap and less sturdy, which is also really important to me.

The last non-laminated iPad I bought was the iPad 9th gen and honestly, the extra thickness makes it feel sturdier than the Pro 10.5 and Air 3.

The plasticky feel and hollow sound when tapping on the screen does make it feel cheaper though.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The base Air has double the RAM, double the SSD, a better screen, better speakers, supports the Pencil Pro, and has faster USB-C. If none of that maters to you, get the cheaper iPad 10.

The 64GB ain’t gonna fly for my mom. iOS and apps have gotten quite bloated nowadays that even 64GB feels cramped. I find the 128GB M1 Pro and 2024 128GB M2 Air to be better value than the 256GB iPad 10th gen.

When I updated a 32GB iPad 7th gen to 17.5 beta, it wanted 10GB free. I had to delete/offload practically all apps on the device just to install the OTA update. This reminds me of my frustration with the 16GB iPad Air like 8-10 years ago.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
The 64GB ain’t gonna fly for my mom. iOS and apps have gotten quite bloated nowadays that even 64GB feels cramped. I find the 128GB M1 Pro and 2024 128GB M2 Air to be better value than the 256GB iPad 10th gen.

When I updated a 32GB iPad 7th gen to 17.5 beta, it wanted 10GB free. I had to delete/offload practically all apps on the device just to install the OTA update. This reminds me of my frustration with the 16GB iPad Air like 8-10 years ago.
I'm normally not one to complain about storage, but yeah I had the same problem with a 32GB 8th gen iPad. I even use iCloud storage to offload originals, but with pictures/iMessage taking up about 5GB, and the base OS needing ~17GB, iPadOS needs close to 10GB just to do an update!! Ridiculous.

Reactions: rui no onna

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Collected my iPad Air M2 today. After close comparison the screen on the air was slightly better, especially with darker colours. Couldnt resist the M2 processor and double the RAM! Quite happy!
That's not a resounding statement in favor of upgrading! But hope you enjoy the M2! I was on the verge of upgrading from my sturdy IP 10 to the Air M2. But haven't quite felt able to do it. Have some fondness for my unglamorous IP 10, which has been with me to numerous countries on five continents and has just been a very solid, reliable workhorse in all sorts of places/conditions.

Roosterman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2022
That's not a resounding statement in favor of upgrading! But hope you enjoy the M2! I was on the verge of upgrading from my sturdy IP 10 to the Air M2. But haven't quite felt able to do it. Have some fondness for my unglamorous IP 10, which has been with me to numerous countries on five continents and has just been a very solid, reliable workhorse in all sorts of places/conditions.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t upgrading from iPad 10. I was upgrading from 5+ year old iPad and choosing between the Air M2, or buying the iPad 10. For me, the new price for iPad 10 was a tempting option. Very impressed with all three current iPad options (……unlike the current iMac desktops but that’s another issue)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.