Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heavenkiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
So I just unboxed my new iPad air and cutting to the chase, I can play all my iTunes bought songs via the cloud it seems. Is this iCloud? I presumed I would have to download them all to the iPad to play but it seems not. I thought this is what iTunes match did but that's a paid service and I'm definitely not paying for that.

Can I keep it this way and free up storage on my iPad then? Assuming i need an internet connection to play the songs but that doesn't bother me.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
So I just unboxed my new iPad air and cutting to the chase, I can play all my iTunes bought songs via the cloud it seems. Is this iCloud? I presumed I would have to download them all to the iPad to play but it seems not. I thought this is what iTunes match did but that's a paid service and I'm definitely not paying for that.

Can I keep it this way and free up storage on my iPad then? Assuming i need an internet connection to play the songs but that doesn't bother me.

Anything bought via itunes (movies, music, apps), is available to download on your new device, if you are logged in on your new device with the same itunes account. You bought it, you own it. I believe that if you play it, it is now on your device (not just streamed from the cloud).

iTunes match is for your music that was not purchased via iTunes.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Yes.

iTunes match allows you to upload your music that you didn't purchase via iTunes. There's more but staying to your point.

Congrats on the new toy! :D

Heavenkiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Anything bought via itunes (movies, music, apps), is available to download on your new device, if you are logged in on your new device with the same itunes account. You bought it, you own it. I believe that if you play it, it is now on your device (not just streamed from the cloud).

iTunes match is for your music that was not purchased via iTunes.

I can see it yes, as i own it. However I can play it and it's not stored on my device's hard drive however listed under music as if it is stored on the HD. Must be a cool feature of iCloud and gonna come in really handy for saving HD space.

Thanks for clarification on iTunes match. Handy if you're new to iPhone from buying music elsewhere I guess.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I can see it yes, as i own it. However I can play it and it's not stored on my device's hard drive however listed under music as if it is stored on the HD. Must be a cool feature of iCloud and gonna come in really handy for saving HD space.

Thanks for clarification on iTunes match. Handy if you're new to iPhone from buying music elsewhere I guess.

U can only stream while on wifi. Otherwise u need to download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.