New iPad and full screen mirroring

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NutFlush920, Mar 18, 2012.

1. NutFlush920 macrumors regular

I upgraded from the original iPad on Friday and was excited to try Airplay Mirroring with my AppleTV 2 since the original iPad couldn't do this. I'm a little confused why it doesn't take up the full screen on my TV and has black bars on the left and right.

I looked online and could only find an explanation for the iPad 2. Being that the resolution on the New iPad is better than a 1080P TV, it doesn't make a lot of since why I am seeing these black bars.

Am I missing something or could someone please explain?

2. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It wouldn't make sense to crop off top and bottom of iPads whole "desktop". Instead it scales so that the whole screen is seen. It will take FULL advantage of tv screen if the app you're using supports it. I.e. Netflix will use the whole 16x9 space while playing a video.

As long as the iPad is 4x3 and not 16x9 the current setup makes the most sense.

3. DS3 macrumors 6502a

It's called mirroring for a reason, mirroring 4:3 is 4:3 of course. However various video apps and games are enabled to output in widescreen.

4. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, just tested. Most of my apps do. This is amazing! Now I gotta buy the digital a/v adapter for when I travel so I don't have to bring the Apple TV everywhere I go.

Also, on a side note, I'm gonna sell my SlingCatcher while the price is so high and just use the SlinPlayer for iPad app to the Apple TV.

This new iPad kicks a$$!

5. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I got my A/V Digital adapter finally for traveling. Both the SlingPlayer iPad and iPhone app don't utilize full screen through this adapter but do via AirPlay to the AppleTV. Very strange. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Any thoughts?