New iPad and iPhone 4S Camera Shootout

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mark Booth, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mark Booth, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012

Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

How does the 5-megapixel camera in the new iPad ("iPad 3") compare to the 8-megapixel camera in the iPhone 4S? Both share the same optics, so does 3-megapixels make a big difference? My latest blog post:

http://markshangout.com/blog/2012/3/21/new-ipad-and-iphone-4s-camera-shootout.html
    Mark

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. batotman macrumors 6502

I can't see any difference between the 4S and 5D mk ii. :D

Should have included the horrible front camera in the face off. I hate it so much!

4. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

My objective was a comparison for general photography purposes. The front-facing camera is really designed for FaceTime, not general photography.

BTW, yeah, I can't see any difference between the 4S and the control camera either! :)

Mark

5. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

BTW, a very nice photo taken by a friend is included in the article! :)

Mark

6. jburns macrumors regular

It's pretty easy to rank these three cameras. iPad is good but the worst of the three. iPhone holds the middle spot and the Cannon comes out on top. The battery crops show the iPad lack the sharpness of the iPhone camera and especially the Canon which is considerable sharper than either.

Looking at the last crop both the iPad and iPhone camera suffer from considerable noise easily seen in the gray background and in the dark blue swath in the upper right. The Cannon leads here by a wide margin.

All do a pretty fair job with color having no more variation than you would expect under controlled conditions. Obviously they are all more than good enough for snapshots and family activity type photography.

I enjoyed reading your comparison.

7. batotman macrumors 6502

I was just kidding about the front camera....:D My 4S isn't great but it kills my old Droid and does pretty well outdoors.

I'm pretty picky about photos and have an S95 and t2i. But I can only dream about owning a 5D Mark II.

8. Virgo macrumors 6502a

Virgo

Aren't the differences essentially the same as between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S? I heard that apple used the same exact camera from the iPhone 4 in the new iPad.

9. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

Not exactly. In addition to the new iPad having the camera sensor from the iPhone 4, it has the improved optics from the iPhone 4S.

I did mention that fact in my article!

Mark

10. Virgo macrumors 6502a

Virgo

11. daooof macrumors regular

I think the iPad CAN perform as well as the 4S in some instances, but it needs a LOT of light to do so. Basically only my outside shoots worked well or when I was inside with plenty of lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzVCsAltmpg - here's a video review I made showing it off. Still pictures come at the end.

12. psonice macrumors 6502a

Good stuff - as a photography app dev working at the sharp end I appreciate it especially.

For a bit more fun though lets break it down into the separate areas and see which wins:

Optics: 5D.
    Sensor: 5D.
    Processing: iPad. The 5D has superior initial processing, but after that... nothing. The iDevices have a wealth of apps to take it to the next level, and the iPad is better for working on with its huge screen.
    Handling: 5D. This is where the iPad really trails.
    Viewfinder: iPad. You just can't beat a near-full-res viewfinder the size of a large print :)

So really the points are split between the 5D and the iPad, the iPhone doesn't win outright anywhere. But of course it's the happy medium, not too big and heavy, not too expensive, but with reasonable optics and great apps.

Can we have a 5D that runs iOS now please? :)

13. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

What I want is an HDMI Input->30 pin adapter. That way I can use my iPad as a video monitor on my T2i. That would be awesome.

14. daooof macrumors regular

Can't you do that with the apple HDMI connector?

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Not that I am aware of. The HDMI connector lets you display what is on your iPad on to another display. I want it to do the opposite, displaying the content of my T2i's 3" screen on the 9.7" screen of the iPad.

It might be possible to use the adapter for HDMI in, but it would require some software hacking that probably wouldn't be allowed in the App Store.

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I actually like the iPad 3's color reproduction over the iPhone's before the crop. Once cropped the iPhone's image is superior due to having more pixels to work with.

Great comparison! Wish I had a 5D.