New ipad and issue with smart cover?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Abazigal, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Hi all,

I seem to be having an issue with my smart cover, and am not sure if any of you are experiencing a similar problem.

Basically, my smart cover does not seem strong enough to support my ipad standing up. It props up okay, but when I press the screen, the pressure is strong enough to cause the ipad to detach itself from the magnetic catch, topple and fall down backwards.

I understand the smart cover is the same as the one used on the ipad2, and wonder if the designers failed to factor in the ipad's extra weight. Or was I shipped a dud by Apple? :confused:

2. marzxbarz macrumors member

My smart cover doesn't detach from itself when pushing against the iPad in the upright position. Sounds like you've got a dud. :(

3. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

Seems like there might be something wrong with the magnetic clasp. Will be contacting their online store tmr to see what can be done about it. Been the 3rd time it's happened.

Thanks. :)

4. Pug72 macrumors 6502

Pug72

Check to see if the magnetic spine is bent.

Mine was, must have been done in transit, I carefully reshaped it so the whole length was in contact with the iPad.

Sorted the easy unclip prob for me.

5. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Ya mine holds up perfect!

There are no known issues at all with the current smart covers and The New iPad.

Looks like your have a issue with your magnet on your current cover bro.

6. wickoo macrumors member

Try folding it the other way, with the internal material on the outside. :)

7. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

Tried both ways, that was the more stable of the two configs, just still not enough.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Could be that you have been using a fake or knock off product. Are you sure that it is a genuine Apple product as the Chinese are selling millions of these knock offs as the real thing.

9. Yumbo macrumors 6502

Yes.
    New iPad is too heavy for existing smart cover.
    Mine came off several times on the first day.
    It is not a dud.

Wonder if they bothered to test, and if so decided that they could live with it.

10. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

At risk of bumping an old thread,

The smart cover was purchased together with my ipad from the apple website, so it should be legit.

Anyways, I have returned it, as I ultimately felt the price was not worth a few magnets held together with fabric (impressive as the build seems). If anything, I really have to commend their after-sales service, which is quite liberal (perhaps to a fault). Within a few days, my cover was picked up and the money credited back into my account soon after. No fuss at all.

I am currently using a viva casing, but have placed an order for a zaggfolio. I participate in a variety of online forums, and feel that I would benefit from having a portable keyboard. :)