New iPad ATT vs Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jsnuff1, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Im torn between which version to get. I currently have an ATT iPhone but want to check out Verizon's network, especially since Verizon's 4g LTE is available in my area and ATT won't be for a while.

Question is if I buy the Verizon there is a blurb on the Apple site that says

So obviously the Verizon version also has GSM compatibility...so does this mean it has a SIM slot, and if so would it work with ATT's 3G network (i.e if Verizon's 4G LTE network is not available it would be nice to stick my iPhone's ATT sim in the iPad and have it work)?

Im assuming that there are two versions for ATT and Verizon solely because their LTE networks run on different frequencies, but in terms of 3G they both seem to use the same worldwide compatibility as the iPhone 4S. AFAIK the iPad cellular models are not locked so I do not see why this could not be feasible.

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Yes it has a SIM slot, yes it should work with AT&T's 3G network but not their LTE, but your iPhone sim card will probably not work (there is a range of topics on this subject if you use the search).

3. dread macrumors 6502a

Verizon has a sim slot but no one knows yet if it will work with AT&T 3g because Apple could potentially create a software block that prevents it. Otherwise they both support the same 3g frequencies. Just get the verizon. AT&T is just starting to roll out LTE. It won't be done for another 6 years.

4. deeddawg macrumors 603

5. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Unlocked Ipads in Singapore?

Anyone ever read about Ipads that are unlocked in other countries, like Singapore, where it is illegal to force you to choose a specific carrier?

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

I am sure the ATT 4G LTE ipad model is unlocked throughout.

That's because it's the same model sold outside the USA.

Verizon and ATT use the same LTE frequency (except the ATT model includes an extra 2100 LTE band while the Verizon only has the 700MHZ band).

Of course, in Europe/Asia/Australian it's a mute point since they use completely different LTE bands (I think 1800/2600 LTE bands) so they would get LTE anyways there.

7. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

So could you put a different SIMs card in there and use a different carrier, on the ATT model?

8. deeddawg macrumors 603

On the iPad1's and 2's people did it all the time. No carrier lock.

There's nothing yet to suggest it will be any different for the new iPads.

The limitation on the Verizon iPad2 was technological not a "lock"; it was a CDMA iPad and didn't have GSM capability.

9. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Updated, Even More Digging on ‘The New iPad’ Regarding Carrier Lock Down

A bit beyond me, but interesting

http://www.sonlte.com/2012/03/08/more-digging-on-the-new-ipad-regarding-carrier-lock-down/

----------

Really? So we aren't limited to ATT or Verizon?

10. deeddawg macrumors 603