iPad mini new iPad availability date

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jeff92k7, Oct 9, 2013.

1. jeff92k7 macrumors member

I understand all the rumors of the new iPads being announced on October 22. My question is this: Is there any chance that the new iPads would be available to purchase in-store on October 25?

In other words, is the 10 day announcement lead time typical of all Apple products, or are iPads typically announced around the same day that sales start?

Reason: We're having a birthday party for two of our kids on the 26th. They will both be getting iPad Mini's. However, I don't want to buy the current model with the same, outdated processor as the iPhone 4s right before the new model comes out. I'm trying to make these as future-proof as possible, so an old, about to be discontinued model isn't appealing.

2. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

most likely date to purchase them would be november 1st so if you want the latest and greatest would have to wait till then.

3. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

Teach them patience, and give them each a coupon redeemable for one iPad Mini on the 1st (or whichever day is announced as the release date).

4. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Either 11/1 or 10/29 I think.

I wouldnt mind a halloween day launch to promote a great holiday:)

5. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Give them a gift certificate meant for the new ipad minis sounds like your best option. :)

6. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

Imagine if they release on Nov 1st, Friday.

There will be alot of people waiting in line the night before, and alot of them may be getting drive-by-egged.

It'll be quite the news story.

7. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

Both our city's Apple Stores are in malls. If people managed to do drive-by egging, that would be impressive.

8. Macalway macrumors 68000

We will know any day now if these will be available on the 22 or soon after as there will be news from the supply chain.

The longer we don't hear anything the farther out actual availability will be.

( I'm making this up :) )

9. jeff92k7 thread starter macrumors member

Ha... It's more teaching my wife patience than the kids. The kids don't know anything about what they're getting. My wife is the one that's impatient and wants to make sure they can open their gifts at their party. I, in turn, have to do whatever I can to make sure my wife gets what she wants.... Happy wife, Happy life.

10. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

LOL, and people ask me why I'm single with a dog instead.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Are iPads as huge as an iPhone release? I really need an iPad. I need one by Nov. 15th. Do you think the inventory and availability will be good by Nov. 1st.?

12. crazyman3005 macrumors regular

Would like to know the same, when they allowed for pre orders for the 3 it was manic though so I am not sure myself.

13. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

Touch ID sensor has been a huge bottleneck for the iPhone 5s. That might be a dilemma for Apple: Include Touch ID in iPads, and see the bottleneck get worse, affecting both product lines? Or leave Touch ID out of the iPad until the supply chain catches up? Or...

14. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

So are apple definitely hosting an event on the 22nd announcing the new products.
    I haven't seen an official announcement from them and there's only 9 days to go

15. gCloud macrumors 6502a

kids won't be very happy when a new model comes out a week later, if you can pre-order before the 26 then do that and give the envelopes with printouts of the orders.

16. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Depends on the kids. Some won't even know/care.

They'll announce it this tuesday most likely.

17. gCloud macrumors 6502a

there will be Adds on tv, other kids will have em, they will know and probably care.
    Depends how old the kids are I guess

18. Oui macrumors 6502

And since the invites usually go out 7 days in advance they still have 2 days to go.

19. bkribbs macrumors 65816

True. But the differences are what? Retina screen (kids won't notice) so basically fingerprint scanner?

I mean yes also speed improvement but unless these kids are at least teenagers or into techonlogy, probably not a big deal.

I know lots of kids in middle and high school, even college who wouldn't really care.

20. bri1212 macrumors 6502

While I might agree, about 3 years to 10 years old, My twelve year old, and my seventeen yr old LOL'ed your comment. Literally.

21. bkribbs, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

bkribbs macrumors 65816

It matters to some kids, and ones with parents who are into tech (I assume you are if you're on here) are more likely to be into it as well. And there are some who are into it even if their parents aren't.

But in general I still stand by my statement.

22. wmitch macrumors regular

Not to get into parenting advice but it isn't necessarily about if they will notice or not.

Spend what your budget allows and if that means previous gen it can be a good teaching opportunity that we don't always need the latest of something.

Everything we purchase is a teaching opportunity for our kids on how to handle money. I'd rather raise a generation debt free than one that always has to have the latest gadget.

23. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Is that confirmed, source?

Is it TouchID or is it the A7 on the new 28nm process as bottleneck?

I guess, either way, would effect new iPad. I just always assumed it was the 28nm process manufacturing line since it's new.

24. terzinator macrumors 6502

Option 1: Give them the iPad and tell them they can have it if they want, but let them know the new one will be out in a week (or whatever they say at the event). They can make the decision whether to open it or wait. (If they open it they probably can still return it. Again, depending on the date they say at the event.)

Option 2: Apple Gift Card/Certificate with a picture of an iPad mini on it.

Either way, let them decide.

But the main thing is, Apple will likely make the announcement about the availability date at the EVENT. And the birthday is AFTER the EVENT. Speculation is oh, so entertaining, but I would suggest crossing the bridge when you come to it.

25. jeff92k7 thread starter macrumors member

I totally agree. That is, oddly enough, part of the reason we are looking towards the newer model. The logic is that, being newer, it will be supported longer and thereby not require us to spend money sooner to replace it.

Heck, I'm still using an iPad 1 myself. I'm only just now thinking of replacing it. Mainly because there are so many app updates that no longer work on iOS 5.

My biggest issue is the processor. Buying the current iPad mini with the same CPU as an iPhone 4S just doesn't make smart financial sense when a new one is right around the corner. Handling money well sometimes means buying the latest model knowing it will cost us less in the long run. It's about what makes sense to us, not about trying to impress anyone else.

Too many people buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like. We make sure to teach our kids about not doing that.