Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simurgh87

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
So I am in UK (I don't know if that makes difference) but I have a few issues with battery on my new Ipad.

When I connect Ipad with the USB charger which comes with the box it first indicate that Ipad is charging and after about 10-15min the indication (on battery symbol) is lost and charging is generally much slower (approximately 7-8% per hour).

Are anybody experiencing the similar issues ?

Regards!

Simurgh87

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
There are reports of slower charging. It's normal. Relax.

Actually I found out that after the indication is gone now it doesn't charge it at all.
It was on charge for 5 hours - no charge at all. It must be due to faulty charger as my iLuv system does charge it just fine.

bajaracing

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
I'd take it back for a checkup. Should work. I know some 3rd party chargers aren't working, but your using the one that came in the box.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
The battery in the new iPad is 70% larger than the iPad 2; so it's not a slower current flow, just needs more juice to charge it (i.e. 1% of the new battery is 1.7% of the old battery). Does take a lot longer to charge though!

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time
USB charge issue

Read the Consumer Reports mention on the front page of MacRumors posted by Jordan Golson Tuesday March 20, 2012 12:39 pm PDT.

here is the article quote:

"Potentially more interesting is Consumer Reports' note that their new iPad didn't charge at all when the game was running. In fact, the battery continued to drain slightly under the extremely heavy CPU and GPU load from Infinity Blade II.

It's seems that under extremely heavy processor usage, the iPad is unable to draw sufficient power from its USB connection to both power the device and charge the battery simultaneously."

mrmcbee

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Some observations

I noticed all of this today while using my iPad 3 over a WiFi (G) network while plugged in to an Apple AC adapter. I never had a single issue like this on my first generation iPad (did not own an iPad 2).

Streamed 30 minutes of video over HBOGo. My battery decreased 3%.

Streamed 90 minutes of audio through Tunein and occasional tweeting using echofon. My battery decreased 1%

This thing guzzles power, I hope it can be resolved with a firmware update. No hardware should lose battery while plugged in, performing basic functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.