New iPad buyers, will you be getting the iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lupend88, Mar 13, 2012.

?

Do you plan on getting the mini if you have the new iPad?

1. YES

29 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. NO

90 vote(s)
    75.6%
  1. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I don't see it happening ... so no

3. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I would have to say; if you can afford the maxipad, why bother with the minipad.

Tom

4. whawhat macrumors 6502

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well honestly, I would be interested in an iPad mini.

If I were in the market for an iPad (only getting one cause I'm getting my mom's iPad 2 hand me down and I'm just excited about that) and I hadn't caved and bought the "new" one (or 2012 one), I probably would definitely consider the smaller iPad (it's more what I want cause i want a glorified book reader and the iPad is a bit big for a good book reader). I might hold out for it even (Depending on how badly I wanted an iPad, I'm not a very patient person. But, honestly, an iPad hasn't been on my biggest want list. Even if I had the money for it I think I could hold off until the one I want came out).

But, if I already bought the new iPad, I'm not going to buy another one just cause it's smaller, I'd just make do with what I have. Just like right now since I'm getting an iPad 2 from my mom, even if they release this smaller one that is more what I want, I'll just use what I have already (but it does help that I'm on a tight budget).

Besides, maybe after I use the iPad I'll get over the seems large for an ebook reader. Basically my biggest beef with the iPad size is I want to be able to hold it one handed easily. Which after playing with the ones in the store I find I can do for a short bit but my wrist does eventually get tired. But the size/taper really does help on that, didn't think shape would help so much even with weight in making something big decently holdable in one hand.

I know my roommate though, who doesn't have a tight budget like me, has actually been wanting an iPad but he's holding out cause the size just won't work for what he wants (but it has the apps he wants for use in his plane). So I know of at least one person who won't buy the current iPad cause it's just too big for his purposes (and for him it has nothing to do with price).

6. i0Nic, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

i0Nic macrumors 65816

If Apple were to release a mini iPad, it wouldn't be targeted to existing iPad buyers or people who want a full featured tablet.

A mini iPad would be for people who just want a portable media player - to watch movies, read ebooks etc. It would also be the 'gateway drug' to the full featured iPad. Similar to the halo effect of people buying iPods then moving up the chain to iPhones, iPads and then Macs.

Scenario-
    Eg, Mr and Mrs Smith have heard about the iPad, they're thinking of getting one but it's a bit too expensive, and they don't know what it is exactly. Apple release the iPad mini, and they market it as the perfect device to play games, watch movies and read books. It costs 199. Suddenly, these people now know exactly what to do with it, and it's in their price range. Eventually after using an iPad mini, they may graduate to a full-fledged iPad because they're now familiar with the device and want something that does productivity better.

7. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Only if I can get an iPhone in nano size, and then a mega 17" iPad. Then it'll be complete :p

8. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I would buy one in a heart beat!

I think people who don't think they would want the smaller one would change their mind once they had some hands on time with it.

9. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I would buy one, but since I just ordered the new iPad, I will likely have to make do with this one for at least 2 years. I was actually hoping for a smaller iPad with this update.

10. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

12. DS3 macrumors 6502a

The ultimate goal is to upgrade the iPhone to a 5" screen and introduce an iPad mini at 6".

13. monkeylui macrumors 6502

While I could see a market & it selling like hot cakes, especially at a low price, I've tried a 7" with the kindle fire & didn't like the size. I prefer the current size. I think it's just right. I'd rather get a slightly bigger iPhone.

14. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I would not. The current form factor is perfect for me.

Why people want phones getting larger and tablets to get smaller is beyond me. If you eventually get to 1 device that does both, you'd look foolish with a comically large phone up to your ear, and you'd not enjoy media/web as much as on a larger screen. Seems silly to me.

15. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

16. xak macrumors regular

ok, i haven't obtained my ipad yet, and it's been a while since i've held one, but aren't they already pretty small?

i might just be having a hard time visualizing this, but 9.5x7.31" doesn't seem very big - it's smaller than a standard 11x8.5" piece of paper!

17. WLS macrumors 65816

If they came out with a new product to replace the touch then yes I would buy it.
    This will be my third iPad and I think it will last for a while. Maybe I'm getting jaded but a new toy would be just the thing for the Fall. :)

18. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I would, it mount it next to my toilet it'd be my bathroom tablet

19. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

lol

20. Sleix macrumors member

So...iPad Mini...don't they call that the iPod Touch?

21. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

Had to quote just to say you were wrong :cool:

No hard feelings!

22. WLS macrumors 65816

Surprised this thread is not locked by now. I was one on the early ones that said a slightly smaller ipad would be better for the hand to hold and carry. A number of people here said I was totally wrong and Apple had in it's infinite wisdom chosen the perfect size and no one should ask for anything else. They were the wrong ones and we who could see a future of several ipads were the prophets.

23. Makendu macrumors member

i have the air 2 and i want the mini 4 if it comes out because my i feel like the regular iPad is to big to carry around everywhere i mostly use it at home. i would carry it everywhere if had a mini also

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

The iPad mini size is the perfect size for me.
    My next iPad will be a mini again.

25. Skoal macrumors 65816

New iPad buyers, will you be getting the iPad Mini?

I'd much rather have an iPad mini than the air or God forbid the purported 12.9" future model. Especially if the Pro doesn't have accessory port/s.

I just hope the mini keeps getting upgrades