New iPad camara question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Philrollett, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Philrollett macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I'd just like to start of saying the new iPad is awesome very happy I upgraded... Just a question about the camara, when I record on it and play it back it only plays in the middle of the screen and has black on ether sides, the iPhone seems to do this as well is there anyway to make it record full screen? Plus anyone with the me iPad could you post some pictures taken with the new camara and video just so I can check out the quality, not used mine properly yet

2. Philrollett thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone??

3. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I assume that you are referring to the black space above and below video recordings. The HD video standard specifies the aspect ratio of video to be 16:9, which the ratio between the width and height of the of picture. The iPad display has an aspect ratio of 4:3. Since this does not match the video standard, video doesn't fit exactly on the iPad screen. Consequently, the iPad fits the video to the screen by filling in the extra space on top and bottom with black.

Still photographs are different. There is no single required standard for photographs. Commonly used aspect ratios for digital cameras are 3:2, to match 35 mm film, and 4:3, which is based on the aspect ratio of old analog television. The iPad camera takes still photographs in the 4:3 ratio, which fit the screen exactly, and are therefore displayed without black bands.

If you record video in portrait orientation, the same issue applies, but in this case the black filler bands are on the left and right sides.

4. Philrollett thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, so there's no way to sort this out?

5. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I'm not sure you would want to change it. The end result would either be to clip off the edges of the video, or to distort the picture by stretching one axis.

6. iPhalandrew macrumors member

Double Tap

you can always double tap the screen while filming for viewing your videos for a full screen view. but i'm not sure if that's what your looking for.