New iPad camera quality

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chelmo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Chelmo macrumors regular

Ive been trying out the camera on my new iPad. The picture looks "fuzzy" with tiny dots, not crisp and clear as advertised.

Anyone else experiencing this? Could this be due to light conditions?

Apple say you should be able to take amazing pics even in low light conditions

2. ihatephish macrumors regular

I just took my first picture with it and agree; it's terrible. It was in a low light setting too though.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Same here, the quality is not that great, nowhere near as good as my iPhone 4S camera, although I don't plan on taking pictures with my iPad anyway so I don't really care. Emergency use only IMO.

4. Chelmo thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'm not really planning on taking much pics with my iPad. My iPhone 4 camera looks better, could this be due to screen size?

Will try in bright conditions tomorrow to compare!

5. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I thought it looked great.

Obviously if you take a photo with a mobile device (Granted the iPad is large, but its mobile thin) without a flash in mediocre lighting conditions its going to be a bit grainy to very grainy depending on how bad the light.

I took ones at midday in the light from a window and the quality was great, I was impressed. Combine it with immediately seeing it on the retina display and it was very cool.

Take them in mediocre conditions and it still looked pretty nice, but grainier as thats what happened with less light.

Very glad they included autofocus this time, makes it much more useful.

It would need a flash to be a good camera for real use, but its on an iPad so its not going to be anyway.. one step at a time its a big improvement that can take great photos in the right conditions.

6. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Reading these bs complaints about shooting low light I took mine and shot a dozens very low light pix. Incredibly clear and sharp. Trolls? Or deffective units?:D

7. applemike68 macrumors regular

I've used the camera and it looks much better than the iPad 2 camera ever looked

8. Chelmo thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mind posting a pic you took on your iPad?

9. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

The lighting is a huge factor. Take it putside during the day and it takes some really nice pictures. I have no complaints

10. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Psst: it's actually an iPhone 4 sensor.

11. chadx85 macrumors newbie

12. urkel macrumors 68030

I read an article today saying its actually the iPhone 4 camera and not even the 4S. I know most people don't care for a camera, but I was at least hoping for more than this.

13. aggieastrosfan macrumors member

I took one just now outside. Grainy, but sharp.

14. Chelmo thread starter macrumors regular

I saw that article recently. I'm still finding my iPhone 4 to give slightly better quality pics than my new iPad. I think seeing the pic on the larger iPad screen magnifies any imperfections that don't get noticed as much on the iPhones screen. However so far still finding my iPhone 4 is giving better quality. Will test in daylight tomorrow to see how they compare!

iPhone is alot more convenient for taking photos anyway, not too worried about the camera on my iPad

I think having the HD camera for FaceTime might make FaceTime calls really slow

15. DS3 macrumors 6502a

"Not even" the 4s as if you expected it would be better than the 4s camera, which as far as Im aware is considered one of the best mobile device cameras? And is on a device where photo quality is much more important?

And that same article quotes it has the bigger lens from the 4s so the quality should be a bit better than the 4 anyway.

16. glen e macrumors 68030

my opin too....but i dont plan on using much...

17. jack1123 macrumors newbie

Wow, great picture. Im really impressed by that. Ill only be using my iPad 3 for snaps around the house really, so ill be pleased with that

18. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I am very happy with the camera!

19. raziel101 macrumors member

raziel101

Here is another pic taken from the new iPad. It really does better in brighter light settings. You can still see some grain here.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. rkahl macrumors 65816

I think the photos look fine. Are we in the Ansel Adams forum?

21. scupking macrumors 6502a

Mine seems ok. Not like I bought an iPad to take pictures or videos. For that I have a nice canon point and shoot a Nikon D90 DLSR and a very good canon HD video camera.

22. Saberj macrumors regular

If you are going to compare you pictures between your phone and your iPad, at least make sure you are viewing them both on your iPad (or both on your computer). The higher resolution is going to make it impossible to compare unless you do that.

You are talking 2048x1536 vs 640×960. That's a pretty drastic difference, especially when you are talking about a low light shot.