Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lodog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
With previous versions of the iPad, units sold in the US were not carrier locked. With the new iPad, the Apple Store online is forcing you to choose a carrier and says the iPad will only work with the chosen carrier.

Can anyone confirm that new iPads sold in the USA are carrier locked? This seems to be a significant change from the previous versions.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
With previous versions of the iPad, units sold in the US were not carrier locked. With the new iPad, the Apple Store online is forcing you to choose a carrier and says the iPad will only work with the chosen carrier.

Can anyone confirm that new iPads sold in the USA are carrier locked? This seems to be a significant change from the previous versions.
I think what they mean is that you cannot buy the AT&T version and then use it with Verizon.

lodog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I think what they mean is that you cannot buy the AT&T version and then use it with Verizon.

I think so too, but I'm looking for a confirmation of this. And what does this mean for traveling overseas with a new iPad? Are you locked into paying usurious rates for roaming or can you install a SIM from a foreign carrier?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.