New iPad charger

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Abarth1200, May 12, 2012.

1. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

Hi I have an iPhone 4S and the new iPad, can I use the iPad charger for my iPhone without risk of charging it to fast or damaging the iPhone and charger.

Also is it ok to use the iPhone charger for my iPad, understandably it will charge slower but if I'm stuck somewhere and need power I'll take what I can get.

2. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

From iPhone charger to your iPad it will take almost a day so not a good idea, the other way around I am not sure if it will damage your iPhone with an iPad charger.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted

It's ok to use your iPad charger with your iPhone.

4. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

5. Silken macrumors member

I use my iPad charger with my iPhone quite regularly, no problems here. Chage times are too slow to use the chargers the other way round, so I stick to using the iPad charger for the iPad.

6. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow wouldn't have thought it would be alright, does the charging current change according to which battery it is charging then or do they all charge at the same rate regardless, it's just I remember reading that there is only a certain current/speed at which you can charge a battery.

Anyway that's pretty cool, I did wonder if apple had messed up by introducing a charger that could potentially damage another idevice.

7. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Using a 4S charger on an iPad 3 would be beyond way beyond slow.
    The little cube is no way near 10 watts.

8. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

I am aware of that.

However my concern was if the iPad charger would damage the iPhone, and that Apple could have potentially released a charger which an end user could mistakenly plug into their iPhone and damage it. All my own speculation which has been cleared up in above posts.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The charging (control/monitoring) circuits are built into the device and not the charger. The device controls the amount of current going to it's battery.

In general you can have too little current which results in slow charging (using the iPhone or laptop's USB charger on the iPad) but but a higher current will be "throttled" buy the device. So using the iPad charger on the iPhone is 100% fine.