NEW IPAD CHARGING problem

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RoyWill, May 10, 2012.

1. RoyWill macrumors member

My NEW IPAD ran out of battery. I have spent the last 5 hours to charge it and its only 39%..... something wrong with it??? :confused:

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Are you using the charger that came with your iPad? Charging an ipad from a computer or an iPhone / iPod charger takes much longer.

3. RoyWill thread starter macrumors member

everything is original... charger.. cable.. and iPad battery...almost 12hrs .. and still not fully charged:mad:

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ok, that does not sound right. Time for a call to Apple Care or a trip to the Gnius Bar, I'm afraid. :(

5. kleinbros macrumors newbie

The new iPad does take longer to charge. This has been discussed for a long time.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Connecting it directly to 110V would probably solve that problem for you. :rolleyes:

7. RoyWill thread starter macrumors member

It connects directly to the AC power supply! I think there must be something wrong with it..doesnt make sense to take half day to charge the ipad...:mad:

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Would all depend how much life you took out of it. It can take a longer time to charge if it was being heavily used before it powered it's self down.

9. RoyWill thread starter macrumors member

I understand but it is only a 3 weeks old machine!!! Not even 3 months old!!

10. biohead macrumors 6502

Are you using the iPad whilst it's charging?

And does the bottom or back of the charger say 5w or 10w?

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Regardless of age there are varying factors to look at.

If your using it heavily and it powers off it could have less of a charge left than an iPad that's powered off whilst just surfing the net. It takes longer to bring the heavily used device back to life.

Secondly if the device was being heavily used and the battery was warm it would naturally take a lot longer to charge as its outside it's optimum temperature window.

12. RoyWill thread starter macrumors member

Yes the machine shut down itself because of running out of battery. But I didnt recharge it until 4-5 hrs later which I am sure the battery is not warm anymore.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not true. It shouldn't matter what you were doing with the device, a battery that ran down to 0 is ran down to 0. It should take the same amount of time to charge from 0 to full.

OP, if you are sure you're using the cable and adapter that came with the iPad, then it should charge to full in 6-7 hours, max. If it takes any longer, call Apple.

14. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

The new iPad does have a charging problem. I have been charging mine for 6 hours and it is at 90%. >_>

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wrong the battery dosnt hit 0! Charge times vary as does charge levels

16. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I'd say that was slower than average, but I would get it fully charged and then see how the battery performs after that. See how long it lasts, and maybe try charging it again before it gets to 0 and see how fast or slow it charges. Then decide if the battery is bad or if maybe it was just a one-off kind of thing.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Technically, you are right that it doesn't hit 0, but by the time it shuts down, the level of battery left is minimal. At most, whatever battery left should vary the charge time by less than an hour. The OP is reporting that their iPad didn't charge fully after 12 hours. If he said it took 8 hours, I'd shrug and say, battery charge times can vary. 12 hours, just no way.

18. Kralledr macrumors member

Calm Down dude mine 2 iPad 3 Takes Long as well .. Is normall

19. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Right from the start of un boxing I never let my iPads discharge under 20% or be charged higher Han 80%. 75% actually.
    Stay in that zone always or whenever possible. There will be times when total discharge happens and the monthly battery meter leveling total recharge/ discharge should be done every 30 or 40 days If you want the meter to register visually reliable. If only occasional , total fill and total empty is ok. I don't do it. Under 20 and over 80 routinely should be avoided. Battery will crystallize .
    It's better to plug it in to charge while 20. , 25% is there to charge it on. I found this in an Apple related article.
    Just as operating temperature is very significant. I charge my ip3 and ip2 in 73 degree room and on a cold granite outer top whenever possible. Help it stay cool. If you want to kill your batteries life span charge it to full in higher than 76 degree temps routinely. If it does not matter to you than enjoy and be prepared to install a replacement battery for I believe $80.
    You can damage the strength ,holding capacity and life length of your battery by always doing total discharge / recharges. It is also not suggested to leave the battery plugged in over night at 100% as a routine. It might be sold to do these things but optimal battery care suggests the above.
    Just google the subject.