[New iPad] Choiix Smartcover / Folio type case - Pics and frist impressions

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by SamR123, Mar 29, 2012.

1. SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

So today I walked into a local retailer just browsing for some cables and a case caught my eye. The clerk told me it was an iPad 2 case but we could try and see if it worked on the new iPad, and it did.

As you can hopefully see on the pictures it's a exact copy of the smart cover (material even feels a bit nicer, the colorful part at least) but it's connected to a hardshell plastic back. The material almost fully wraps around the back giving me the impression it's very well connected to the plastic. It's very thin and seems to offer very decent protection, without covering the bezel at all.

Magnets work perfectly and so do the stands, it has the exact 4 folds a real smart cover has. Cutouts are very nice and everything is perfectly accesible, with only the mic 'cutting it close' (but still fully usable, I tested it).

Personally I'm not to crazy about the white plastic, but it's fine. Also it has edges that a very similar in sharpness as a bare iPad has.

Enjoy some pictures and please ask if you have questions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brand is Choiix and I paid €24,95 ($33) for it. This is my third case, I have the Marware CEO iPad 3 thing and a GeckoCover hardback folio (which is pretty much is that Poetic hard back one rebranded) and I think this will be my go to case for a good time to come. As always, third time is the charm.

2. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I really like looks of that in blue but can't find it online in USA for less than $50 with shipping which seems stiff. Amazon has pink, green, and black but I want Tarheel blue!:D

3. pault106 macrumors member

Yep I've got this in the green for my new iPad and love it.

4. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

5. Flipt macrumors newbie

This is my choice of case too! After searching around different places, reading reviews and forums, I took the plunge and ordered this in Grey as I feel this would look good with my white iPad. It has a score of A- on iLounge, replication of the official smart cover and looks like a substaintial case for the money. I found a retailer on eBay for £20 and I am just awaiting delivery :D

I will post my review in this thread once it has arrived!! ;)

6. pault106 macrumors member

I'm in the UK but got it from eBay

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

8. kgian macrumors regular

9. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yeah, I'm just going for the Red smart cover. I'll post it up once I get it which shouldn't be to long after Tuesday as it ships from Manchester where I am.

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

11. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

12. quinters macrumors newbie

Great Case!

I ordered the black one from Amazon, and it came in today (video, not mine). I am happy with it! I like the look of the black plastic better than the white, even though it is still glossy. The smart-cover part of the black (and white) model is faux leather, not the polyurethane style of the colorful ones. It looks just like the black leather Apple smart cover, if you ask me.

I was going to hold out for the marware microshell folio, as it looks thinner and lighter, but the Cooler Master Choiix is almost half the price!

Pros:
    Smart Cover wake/sleep feature works
    Doesn't cover the bezel
    Fits
    Not Ugly
    Cheap(er)
    Available now

Cons:
    Doesn't hold cover to the back of the case when open
    could be thinner and ligher. I know it's barely thicker and heavier than the bare ipad, but the difference is unpleasantly noticeable, as with most cases.

13. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Just watched this video (nice job) but ouch at about 1:20 talk about slamming the lid on the screen :eek:

14. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

Lol I went back and checked mine not realizing you wasn't talking about my video. I was already over the moon the real metagamers complimented me ;)

15. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

I watched yours too - very nice! I like the split screen stuff you did :)

16. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

Hèhè thanx. This compliment will be going to my online resume ;):p

17. lavem macrumors member

lavem

Thanks for the review, I've ordered a black one via Amazon and for under £20 seems like a bargain.

18. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

You're very welcome, glad it helped someone decide.

19. batotman macrumors 6502

Does it fold flat with the cover on the on the back?

20. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

Yes it does, you can actually see it in the video if you want. I've posted the link a few post up in the post, it's dutch but you can see what you want somewhere in there I think.

When folded on the back it has no way of keeping it flat tho (no elastics or magnetics).

21. Flipt macrumors newbie

Another Review!

I received the case yesterday (the grey and white to go with my white iPad), so here are the pros and cons:

Pros
    - Only £20 for all in one front and back cover
    - Fits the new iPad firmly in place
    - Exact replica of the Apple smart cover
    - Magnetic wake up/off
    - Great colours and design
    - Hard back cover

Cons (Hardly cons though)
    - Could be thinner, but I am not going to complain too much about this
    - Cover doesn't stick to the back once open

I would recommend this case to ALL and the only other one if you dont like this would be the STM Skinny.

22. I like cats macrumors newbie

I like cats

Anyone know where I can get this in Australia? Or an online store that ships to Australia (with a reasonable shipping cost)?

I already checked Amazon, as far as I can tell, they don't ship to Australia.

23. riciad macrumors 6502

24. I like cats macrumors newbie

I like cats

25. batotman macrumors 6502

I ordered the all black one. Plan on adding a rare earth magnet to keep cover back.