New iPad crashes (resprings) periodically

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Vizzyx, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Vizzyx macrumors newbie

Moscow, Russia / Buckingham, UK / Chicago, IL
    Hi everyone,

I got a new 32gb WiFi iPad (2012) on launch day, which I restored from the backup of my firstgen iPad. After a few days of playing around with it, it crashed on me once (I think I was in Safari). Then it crashed on me again very soon after that. I immediately went to Settings and restored the settings on the iPad, so that I wouldn't be using the backup (I didn't choose to delete all data though).

Then the crashes stopped, and I thought the problem was gone, until they resurfaced today. My iPad respringed when I was reading a PDF in Goodreader. Then it crashed when I went into Goodreader straight after that. I looked at diagnostics logs, and the culprit seemed to be dataaccessd, which, as google searching pointed out, was to do with Exchange calendars. I removed my Exchange calendar entirely (which is not really a productive option for me), and then it crashed in Goodreader again after I used dictation. Then, a few minutes after that, Goodreader crashed by itself, without me using dictation or anything, just when I was reading my PDF. Moreover, when I tried to use dictation again, all was fine.

I setup my Exchange account again (with calendars and contacts disabled this time), and all was well, until just a few minutes ago my iPad crashed while I was in Pages.

Surprisingly, diagnostics logs only account for my first crash in the morning, and there are no logs of later crashes.

It can't be a particular app, I doubt that it's Exchange since as far as I know my iPad crashed with it disabled, it can't be dictation…

Is there any way to find out what is causing the crashes? I mean, I *could* just completely restore my iPad, but that would be very painful with all the data and apps I have on it.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If this was happening to me, I'd start by opening up the App switcher (double click home button) and close all apps in there (hold an icon, press the red minus side). Then restart the iPad.

If that doesn't help, what I would do is find a day where you aren't using the iPad much. Start off by backing up everything in the new iPad via iTunes and restore it. Start fresh and install all those supposed "crashy" apps like Goodreader, Pages and set up the exchange accounts. I've never used Goodreader, but try opening big PDF files and see if that makes it crash. If you see an improvement in the restored iPad, it may be a setting/file that is or was corrupt that transferred from your original iPad. You can also transfer your photos/videos or whatever you had stored on the iPad to the new restored iPad. It's more of a hassle, but if it stops crashing the iPad it's worth it.

Hope this helps.