New iPad Crashing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Abarth1200, May 14, 2012.

1. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

Hi all so a couple days into owning my first iPad I have started to get annoyed by a couple of common apps crashing, to list a few Tapatalk, Facebook, SkyGo, Accuweather and Ebay.

All these apps are up to date, my iPad is still on 5.1 and my background running bar is never emptied, I also noticed in my diagnostics and usage data I have a lot of low memory recordings.

I have reset a few times just out of curiosity but it's very hard to replicate as it seems too random.

Anything wrong with my device, or is there any more info you may need to resolve this problem.

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Do you close out your apps when you're done or are they all still running? I think my sister and her husband have every app they've ever run still running on their iPhones and iPads. Despite common belief, any running apps does take up some memory, even when minimized, and they add up quickly.

3. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not even sure my apps have a close button, I either press the home button or double press to select a background app or more often now I swipe to the next app.

It has always been my belief that the apps in the multitask bar or on pause so they can load straight up from where you left off and Apples OS manages the memory accordingly so there is no need to close the app.

Can you enlighten me on how to close let's say the stock maps application, without leaving the app and double pressing the home button then holding down the maps icon and then pressing the delete icon bubble.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

No, no. Apps don't have a close button. Here's how to see what apps are running and to close them.

* Double click the Home button on the front of the iPad (the button with the square on it below the screen). A dock with a row of apps should pop up at the bottom of the screen. Those are the running apps. (Side note: If you swipe your finger across this area toward the right side of the screen, you'll see controls for the iTunes player slide in from the left.)
    * Hold your finger on top of one of the running apps in the dock. They will start wiggling and a "-" sign I think will appear in the upper left corner of each icon. Click on that, and the icons will disappear. That means the app has closed.
    * When you're done closing apps, just click the Home button once to get the icons to stop wiggling, and then again to close the dock.

5. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

Your telling me stuff I clearly already know, I was just under the impression and quiet frankly still under the impression that these apps don't need to be closed on a regular basis, the OS manages the memory and decides when to close the oldest app out of its halt state. I think you have it wrong when you say running apps because they aren't.

Next.

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

The previous post was correct actually. When you double tap the home button, the first majority of apps are still frozen in memory, which is why they start so quickly, and don't completely restart when you swipe to them. To kill the apps, just double tap the home button and hold down on one (like moving an icon) then click the red circle, it will remove it from memory, and therefore free some up. The OS does close the apps when you are low, but if the app you are using spikes before the OS can close previously open apps (the OS closing apps ironically requires memory itself as well), it will crash.

If it is really a problem, just close the past few you used before you start opening new ones, it takes like 5 seconds. If you refuse to close frozen apps because you believe the OS should do it all for you, then have fun on a crashing iPad.

7. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Yes, I know what you're saying, and that is supposed to be true. But what I'm trying to tell you are two things:

a) If you have crashing apps and low memory errors, one would presume that you would be willing to try anything, even if it seems improbable to you, to try to diagnose the problem. If I was mistaken, please say so and I will refrain offering any more helpful advice to you.

b) I have a memory monitor on my iPad which has shown me that open apps do in fact take up memory, and that the more graphic intensive ones seem to take up more than others. Your iPad should not be crashing, but we are dealing with the fact that it is closing. My suggestion is at least worth a shot if you actually want to try to find the source of the problem, don't you think?

Also, I didn't think to ask before if you had tried a reset?