New iPad data plan confusion

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mark Booth, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

A major product release is three days away, yet, confusion abounds with regard to the data plans that AT&T and Verizon will be offering.

Example:

At Apple's Online Store site, you see this information on available data plans for the new iPad:

[​IMG]

It clearly shows that Verizon will be offering 1GB worth of data for $20. Since I expect my data needs to fall somewhere between 250MB and 1GB, this would be the plan for me.

However, if you go to Verizon's new iPad site at this link:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/ipad.jsp#howMuchData

And click "View All Data Plans", this is what you get:

[​IMG]

I clearly says "The new iPad" but there's no trace of a 1GB for $20 option. Yet, I'm supposedly viewing "All Data Plans".

How the hell is the consumer supposed to make a decision if the consumer doesn't have all of the necessary information or if the information is contradictory?

I've spoken with three different Verizon reps and received three different answers. Their own employees don't know what the hell is going on.

And on the other side of the fence, the AT&T reps I talked to just yesterday (to ask about the mobile hotspot feature of the new iPad) didn't even know that a new iPad had been announced!

As easy as it is to want to blame the reps for being dolts, the reality is that it's their superiors that are the blithering idiots. They should have provided the ACCURATE information to their customer service reps DAYS ago. The leadership and management of these wireless companies is so vastly inferior to what we experience with Apple, it's an embarrassment that Apple ever has to sign a contract with these morons.

PLEASE Apple, spend that $100 billion to create your own wireless company!!

Mark

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

The definite answer is the one that you will see on your iPad once you initiate service.

3. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Verizon is probably hiding the 1GB plan in hopes that you'll just buy the 2GB plan for $10 more.

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The 1GB plan is purchased on the device itself and is considered a prepaid plan; it's listed on the Prepaid section of Verizon's site.

If you choose, you could do postpaid billing with your iPad. But the 1GB plan isn't available with postpaid.

5. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Obviously! But that doesn't help the consumer make a purchasing decision BEFORE he's received the new iPad!!

If I'm going to be forced to pay a minimum of $30 for data (as Verizon's own web site seems to imply), then perhaps I'd rather pay $30 to AT&T and get 3GB of data instead of 2GB?!

Mark

----------

Thanks, but please provide a link. I'm unable to find the area on Verizon's site you mention.

And, assuming that's the case, how about this question:

Will Verizon allow the Mobile Hotspot feature to work for both the postpaid AND prepaid data plans? Or, will it only work with the ongoing postpaid plan?

Mark

6. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I really dont understand the point of 4g on such tiny amounts, surely you would reach your monthly allowance in minutes of use?

7. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Now, to add MORE confusion....

When you view Verizon's LTE coverage maps, some areas are shown as "LTE Extended Coverage Area". These are apparently areas where LTE coverage is not 100% but it's likely you'll get an LTE signal. Yesterday, one of the Verizon reps told me that those "LTE Extended Coverage" areas are only for people with postpaid data plans. The rep said that if you are on a prepaid data plan, you won't get LTE signal in those extended coverage areas.

How much sense does THAT make?

And it's an important issue for me because my street is clearly in an LTE regular coverage area but the area where we frequently to get a bite to eat, see a movie, or shop, is in the LTE extended coverage area.

Mark

----------

4G is about SPEED, not about the amount of data you use. If I download 10 emails, view 10 web pages, and spend 10 minutes in the Facebook app, the amount of data being moved is EXACTLY THE SAME regardless if I'm on 3G, 4G, or WiFi. The only difference is that 4G LTE will load the information faster.

Granted, the faster speed of LTE could result in you using your iPad for longer periods or to browse more complex websites (or download/stream movies) but, again, that would be about the amount of data you are pulling down, NOT about the speed of the LTE technology.

BTW, as an example... I got my iPhone 4S on November 18, 2011. Since that date (almost 4 months ago now), the TOTAL amount of cellular data that I've transferred (both up and down) is just under 1GB.

Even if my iPad usage is 4 times that, I'll still be at or under 1GB per month.

Mark

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

From what I understand AT&T has the best plan prices. It would not have mattered to me as I would have got AT&T no matter what. They have good coverage where I am located.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/devicesController/showPlansInfoOverlay.do

Go to http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/prepay.jsp then Prepaid Tablets, select an iPad (only 2's listed) then View Plan Information.

It's more about connectivity than speed at those volumes. It's for the people that may be on wifi most of time time yet want email and light web surfing when on the go away from wifi. It's not for people who frequently do streaming of video or audio or those who do a lot of heavy graphics-intensive web surfing away from wifi.

10. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

Verizon iPads have the 1GB for $20 option that you can activate on the iPad. Their other tablets that are on a two year contract don't offer the $20 option.

If Verizon didn't have the $20 option, I wouldn't even consider a 4G iPad because I'm not paying another $30 a month for a data plan unless it was unlimited.

11. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Personally, what I would really love is the 8gig for $80 plans (or equivalent) I have seen overseas, and you have a year to use the data.

12. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

This isn't unusual. Sprint prepaid customers have a much smaller coverage area than Sprint postpaid. Prepaid are restricted to native Sprint towers, postpaid also have access to roaming towers. Prepaid also gets slower data speeds than postpaid during times of congestion.

Roaming probably doesn't come into play with VZW LTE but the principle is the same. Postpaid customers generate more money for the wireless company and therefore get better treatment.

13. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Not necessarily true...

0 to 250MB - $14.99 on AT&T and $20 on Verizon. AT&T is cheaper.

251MB to 1GB - $30 on AT&T and $20 on Verizon. Verizon is cheaper.

1GB to 2GB - $30 on AT&T and $30 on Verizon. It's a draw.

2GB to 3GB - $30 on AT&T and $50 on Verizon. AT&T is cheaper.

3GB+ it's the same cost on both carriers.

The one that works out cheaper all depends on how much data you use. I know my data needs will be between 250MB and 1GB a month. Verizon is cheaper.

Mark

----------

EXACTLY!! Let us buy 5GB of data and don't charge us another dime until we've actually USED 5GB worth of data.

If Apple were to create its own wireless network, that's EXACTLY how I believe Apple would do it.

Mark

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, I think a lot of complaints would cease if the carriers just sold blocks of data with reasonably long timeouts. I'd be happy with 90 or 180 days. 30 is too short.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You do not know Apple. Les let Apple make the hardware and AT&T do their thing. Both are in it to make money:mad:

16. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Take a deep, OP....no need to get flustered

So if Verizon doesn't offer the 1g plan you'll pay what, $10 extra a month ($30 compared to $20 for 1g plan). Is that really that big a deal ? It's like 5 venti coffees from Starbucks a month. I think you'll be ok....

17. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I don't drink coffee! :)

Mark