New iPad developer and Provision Profiles

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by DevSolo, Mar 12, 2011.

1. DevSolo macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am more than a little flustered about this. I've tried searching, but can't seem to get a straight answer, so I figured I'd post a question. First, let me say, I'm extremely new to the 'mac world' (purchased my first macbook pro yesterday) but I've been a fan of the iPad and an owner of one since day one last year. I'm coming (hopefully) to iPad development after 15+ years in various regions of the PC realm.

Anyway, my question: Can some please enumerate the steps needed to get the "Development Provision Profile" installed correctly on my macbook pro?

I can't even determine if you need to spend the $99/year (I bought that this morning, but haven't received an email confirmation yet).

I have XCode installed and I'm eager to jump in, but for a company that takes tremendous pride in first impressions, I must say, this is slightly frustrating. A simple 'steps you can expect' on the dev page would go far.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for your time.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You must pay the $99 to get the profile required to install on any physical device. You need to follow the step-by-step instructions available once Apple have processed your order. This can take anything from a few hours to days depending on how long it takes them to do various things including verifying your identity.

3. DevSolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Rob,

Thank you for that. I assume (incorrectly) that it would be more straight forward than that. I did get a response, but I have an identity crisis, apparently.

I've never seen a community punch the gift horse in the mouth like this. If this wasn't for work...

Thanks again.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have no idea what community you are referring to. I hope it's not the wider developer community, some of whom you are already looking to for help. The issue you have encountered is entirely down to Apple, nothing to do with any wider community. The identity checks are well know and the entire process is described by Apple in detail. None of this should be a surprise.

5. DevSolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Rob,

I'm sorry, 'community' should have been 'company'. I meant no offense.

As I stated, I'm new to this, so I wasn't aware of the information provided in the link. It's a very new world here, I just can't believe how difficult apple makes it. I'd heard stories, but until you walk the road, you don't know.

Thanks for responses & information. It's greatly appreciated.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No worries. Just making sure that there is no confusion between Apple corporate and these forums: some people don't seem to get that these forums are absolutely not connected to Apple at all!

With regards to the profiles etc you need to follow the steps How-To videos linked from the iOS Provisioning Portal. I am not sure if you will be able to follow that link until your account is fully setup..

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What have you encountered (please be specific) so far that makes you feel this way?

8. DevSolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Dejo,

Thanks for listening to my concerns.

When I set out to learn how to write iPad/iPhone apps, I had already heard how restrictive apple is on the dev program. But, I think the tablet field (and the iPad in particular) is worth getting into. I looked into what I'd need and my research let me to the following:

- Intel based mac (I choose the 13" mac book pro)
    - Download the free tools (Xcode)
    - Register for the dev membership (free or $99)

With that, according to what I'd read and to be honest I don't have all the links, I'd be able to:

- Learn the new OS (I'm a new mac user, but doing as much research as I can while getting comfortable w/ the new OS, I take full responsibility for being the noob here :p )

- Download the Xcode (It was my impression this was free, but the app store now has it for $4.99. Ok, the cost of lunch is admittedly hardly rant-worthy, but I question why the sudden increase to $5? What can apple possibly gain by this? I can't figure that out)

- Run apps on the simulator (which I can and have done, but not on a device)

- Pay $99 to be able to run apps on my personal devices. This is where a couple days worth frustration warranted this post.

I'm a hands-on kind of person. I want to write, build, and test on the device. Is it apple policy that I need to pay $99 for this? yes and the pros/cons/rants of that cost transcend this. I'm aware and gladly grabbed my credit card, eager to join and participate. After entering my info, I received notification it would take up to 24 hours. Ok, keep playing w/ the OS, XCode, Objective-C. No problems there. Keep in mind this is a Saturday morning. After a few hours, I received an email:

Subject: "Apple Developer Program Activation Code"
    Msg Summary: "To complete your purchase and access your Apple Developer Program benefits, please click on the activation code below."

So, I clicked the link and I was NOT able to complete my purchase -OR- access any benefits. I was greeted by:

"We are unable to activate your Apple Developer Program membership because we are unable to successfully verify your identity. Please contact us and reference Enrollment ID# <redacted> for further assistance." and the only button was "Logout"

I found, after some poking, apparently they don't think I'm me. Now, I have to call sometime M-F around a busy work schedule. And apparently: prove I'm me, find a notary and send a fax. These are the steps I'm aware of at this time.

Now, the great kicker here, and this really has me fuming is... my debit card has been charged! My bank has taken funds! If I'm not me and ned to prove I'm me and apple doesn't trust me as me, why are they taking money from not-me?

All of that so I can write some apps and test on a device? I've already spent $1200 for a new mac (my work PC and home PC function just fine, but I'm open to new things). No-so-real-me has had $100 taken.

Now, if you say all that information was spelled out in the EULA, I'm going to respectfully say "BS". Yes, the EULA is the be-all/end-all of legal protection, but no-one reads those up front. If personal/company verification is this stringent, then at some point prior to clicking the last button, that should be spelled out. Let the consumer know what they are getting into. Give them the expectations for the positive experience to come, if there is going to be some rough edges.

Given that users rarely read entire EULA's
    When the company has strict identification policy
    I expect those concerns to be clear to user at or around credit card entry time.

Thanks again for listening and reading to this point.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You don't have to pay $4.99 for XCode. You can either use the older version (3.x) which is still available and works with iOS 4. Or you can wait for your $99 registration to go through then you can download XCode 4 for free as it's included.

10. firewood macrumors 604

Makes perfect sense to me. Someone's gotta pay for the identity checking required to make sure you aren't using a debit card stolen from someone else.

And I have zero sympathy for complainers who don't read the developer documentation first. They are too much like the customers who will download your apps from the App store without reading the description, and then rate your app 1-star because it didn't mow their lawn.