new ipad - disappointed in apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by captainfester, Mar 22, 2011.

1. captainfester macrumors member

So i got a new ipad 2 64 gb wifi + att. i have had an iphone since they came out.

being that this is my first ipad i didnt realize that the iphone apps are not configured for the ipad per se. like facebook is small and in the middle. obviously able to be enlarged but not decent quality.

i guess im just a little bummed that facebook and some of the other "majors" havent revamped for the ipad.

while im posting...any suggestions on stuff i should get?

2. AVInc macrumors member

Yeah i felt the same... there are tons of apps i use on iPhone but none of them have iPad layout versions. Enlarging them and viewing it on iPad looks horrible.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

If you like fishing and or hunting you should get my app :)

4. bigwinnerx macrumors member

Because the idea is full web-- not appified web. Though Twitter's app is nice.

I've tried to make a point to buy universal apps when possible.

5. spacehog371 macrumors regular

Friendly for iPad is the best facebook app. It's also free and at the top of the charts. Don't know how you haven't seen it.

I also use Flipboard for looking at my facebook feed.

Go to the app store and go to the charts section and go all the way through the free apps and download whatever interests you.

Do the same thing for paid apps if you want.

6. captainfester thread starter macrumors member

I have seen friendly. not sure how comfortable i am routing all my facebook data through some unknown companies app. facebook is careless enough with my personal info.

7. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

But you're glossing over just how much more functional the iPad versions are. I love my iPhone and the apps but the stuff on the iPad is just so much more awesome. The magazine, news apps, size of the screen all make for a much better experience.

Friendly for Facebook is just as good as the regular facebook app on the iphone. Twitter is very good. True, there are some apps that I wish they had on the iPad like MLB At Bat Lite & The Onion but they're few and far between. Just look around. Here are a couple of good suggestions for free apps that I've found awesome.

Zite
    Pulse
    Flipboard
    ABC Player (I'm not a huge fan of ABC programming other than Modern Family but I can't wait for NBC to come out with a version of this program)

Here's a link to some good apps.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362572,00.asp

8. captainfester thread starter macrumors member

I totally agree that iPad 2 is much nicer than my iPhone 4. Just saying I'm bummed that there doesn't seem to be the app support from developers that you see for phone / pod

9. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

get app shopper.

That way you can get ipad apps when they go on sale.

You don't need to buy your apps all @ once.

While I'm here I'd like to suggest Noteshelf or Penultimate. Great for taking handwritten notes.

10. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Mission europa and ff3 just came out and both dont have hd or ipad versions why? And why hasnt gameloft ported starfront to ipad yet?

11. wiremuch macrumors newbie

Reasons why some apps are not developed for the iPads

For Facebook, I personally just use Safari on the iPad.

There are several reasons why some developers may intentionally choose not to have two versions.

One reason is complexity. There are "universal" apps out there that would work on both iPhone and iPad form factor, however it might be hard to maintain a complex application causing release to need to be tested on two platforms before it can be put out to the public.

Another reason is that sometimes the iPad form factor requires a rethink about the user experience and not just a "bigger" version of the App. This require the development of a different look and feel and usability design.

Lastly there is a "target" market question, i.e. the iPad version's audience might be totally different from the iPhone ones. This would mean that marketing has to be done twice and the distribution of potential users in the two different markets are never equal causing the developer to then ask, "Is it worth it to maintain the smaller market, or should i focus on the bigger one?"

To better illustrate the different market, and example would be when developing one of my apps, CheckItOut, a webpage,image and map screenshot and multi annotation tool, I see two different markets.

For CheckItOut for iPhone (http://bit.ly/9vU2Uz) my target market is the general consumer/public who wants to take quick photos, annotate them and send them out in an email. On the other hand for CheckItOut HD for iPad (http://bit.ly/b7QACV), my target market are working professionals/designers who want to be able to take a webpage screenshot and annotate on them on their iPad to show to their clients.

Anyway that's my two cents worth.

Hope that helps give a better picture.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Facebook have stated that they won't be releasing an iPad version of the app because they consider the web interface the "correct" one to use on the iPad.

13. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

For Facebook, just use Safari (although the iCab browser is way better). The increased screen res means the normal web version is viable on the iPad. Alternatively, if you jb your iPad, RetinaPad works well with the Facebook app.

As for suggestions... there are a lot of apps out there. It would help if you mentioned what you want to do with your iPad or what your interests are.

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I think just about everyone was disappointed with it when the iPad first came out and we realized that the iPhone apps looked so bad on the iPad. The threads were filled up.

But, iPad apps are coming out better these days, imo

15. leisenstein macrumors member

I agree. For me, Friendly actually makes Facebook easier than on my PC.

I also find Youtube streams better and Flipboard makes my RSS feeds much more interesting.

16. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Does Facebooks chat now work thru the ipad Safari browser???

This was one of the things that never worked when I had an ipad

17. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

There ARE Facebook iPad apps :confused:

18. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I've been playing Mission Europa in 2X and I think it looks great on the iPad 2 screen! For example, I can actually see that the Doomsday skill shoots out skulls! I never noticed that on my iPod Touch :D. It is an awesomely fun game that rewards smart, strategic play and violently punishes dash and slash play. I have around 6 hours of play time and I'm on level 6 of over 50!

Check out my iPad 2 character on the ME website:
    Mission Europa: REPETETHEGEEK

19. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I just picked up my iPad last night and found it odd there was no official Facebook app, so I look around at what was available.

Has anyone tried Frienatic?

I saw some screen shots in the app store and think the interface looks nice and refreshing. I plan on giving the free version a try when I get home, but just wondering if anyone here has given it a shot already and if they had any opinions on it.

20. jonbones macrumors newbie

that game has the absolute worst UI i have ever seen

21. davidbix macrumors newbie

I was expecting this thread to be about the lack of dedicated iPad 2 apps, like a iPad specific version of Skype.

Friendly is a great app but it doesn't appear to display polls for some reason.