new iPad dislikes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, Apr 8, 2012.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi Forum,

I have been viewing the iPad threads since the 16th. For all the dislikes such as warmth, weight, battery, how could a retina display iPad even of been possibly by March 16th without these characteristics?

I mean, in reality, a company can only use what is out at the time when creating something. Therefore, was it even possible to get an iPad out that was slimmer, lighter, and faster, than the iPad2 by March 16 that has the same screen resolution as the new iPad? In addition, people are writing that the next generation will fix the warmth when running high resolution graphics. Is this even possible? Is a thinner device even possible?

Just wanting to know as I have no background in this stuff. Just trying to use what I think is common sense. Thoughts?

2. Sendaii macrumors member

I'm slightly confused by your choice of of thread title...

...Any ways, to answer your question.
    I doubt it can get much thinner, with the added retina display, bigger battery, and hopefully better camera's in the future updates. I have no gripe with the thickness of the new iPad. It fits comfortable in my hands, and I don't get tired holding it in bed, or walking around so I don't think that's a major issue for most people.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

SURE, but increasing power consumption with a new screen, graphics processor, and LTE modem would have caused the battery life to go right in the toilet.

Faster, thinner, better battery life, pick two.

4. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

When you talk about "dislikes", keep in mind that you are talking about a very small minority of people who own one of the millions of iPad3's that have been sold.

Dislikes for the few who have issues are always in the majority on support forums. It's easy to think it's the norm, when it's no where near the norm.

The VAST majority of iPad3 owners, like myself, are totally happy and have a perfect device with a gorgeous retina display.

I would not want it any slimmer. It would be harder to hold onto imo.

Zero "dislikes" with my 3

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I thnk Apple made a pretty reasonable device when you factor in all of the size, battery life and performance and considerations they had to. I'm pretty happy with mine.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

One could also say that the vast majority are uninformed and also not on this forum.

I find the posting annoying, but also telling. This site has been dead on for a number of issues and were in fact Apple problems:

1 Antennagate (iphone)
    2 Wifi (ip3)...and at times ALLLLLLL Apple Macs
    3 Yellowing on screens (All mobile devices from Apple)
    4 Heat (ip3)
    5 Unexplained glass fractures
    6 Easy glass scratching due to Oly coat

As for dislikes on the ipad3....

1 Weight (all ipads are too heavy)

7. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I am thankful I have not experienced the same apple issues u have. I'm probably not nearly as critical either

8. VFC, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

So you may have some of the issues listed but you choose not to look for them; correct?

What if you took a random sampling of 100 satisfied iPad owners who never have been on an iPad forum and gave them a presentation (with pictures of course) of all the reported iPad issues, then asked them if they have problems with their iPad. I suspect the obvious; there will be less satisfied owners afterwards.

When you analyze the results you will get a certain percentage who will say:

1 - My iPad's perfect, Apple makes the best products and I refuse to look for problems.
    2 - I thought my iPad was perfect, but after looking at the presentation, I now notice I have some of them.
    3 - You know I thought there was something wrong with my iPad, but since Apple has this reputation of producing quality products, I was thinking it was me doing something wrong.

So the question to me is, as a consumer am I better off not knowing any better (ignorance is bliss) or being informed and knowing the product I just purchased has problems of varying degrees of significance.

9. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Very well thought out post. I think the statement about ignorance is bliss carries a lot of weight here. But along with that statement is the freedom that comes with not worrying about every little thing either.

At some point enjoy the product vs. constantly trying to find fault. Maybe it's not perfect per se and the point of many is for Apple to be aware so they can improve the product. That's fine. But if you're 0 for 5 on acceptable iPad's, one has to believe they don't make one good enough for that consumer.

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have not experienced any of those on any of my i-devices and I am pretty picky.

11. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

The actual TN panel in the new iPad is the same tech as the old iPads, just crammed into a tighter space. The tech used in the iPhone retina display is a newer more efficient design TN than the iPad and the old iPhones. It is more efficient, so when they move to this for the iPad they can get some of the battery life back and reduce some of the heat.

The die for the A5X is also still on a 45nm process so they can further increase battery life and reduce heat by moving to a 24nm process.

12. imbogus1 macrumors newbie

imbogus1

I am perfectly satisfied !!

13. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Give that man a gold star! You must have read Dr Raymond's outstanding analysis.

14. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

I have only experienced:

1 Antennagate (iphone)
    4 Heat (ip3)

1 Weight (all ipads are too heavy)

16. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I consider myself a pretty critical consumer and the ultimate returner. I guess I've been really lucky as I've purchased iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, MacBook Pro back in 2008, original iPad, new iPad and 2 additional iPads for the grandkids. I have yet to return any for quality or technical problems. All items are still in service and working well. My grand kids are 3 and 2 so they really put the iPads and my hand me down iPhone 3S through some rough and tough paces.

My former Blackberry and Motorola phones never made it through the 2 year contracts before having to be replaced for worn out hardware, buttons not working, etc.

17. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

My only slight complaint with iPad 3 is weight, but that is nit picking because with present technology there was no practical alternative to support the advancements in screen and graphics processing. Now we have the new screen, next year it may get lighter again as things progress.