New iPad display lag

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kittyfreakmpls, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Kittyfreakmpls macrumors newbie

The retina display seems to have a lag in the refresh rate, from the left to the right. In portrait mode, scroll up and down quickly, and horizontal lines become diagonal, with the right side trailing the left.

The same effect can be seen in landscape, but now it's lag is top to bottom.

It reminds me of the rolling shutter effect that makes vertical lines appear slanted when moving the camera quickly.

2. quangdiggity macrumors member

I've noticed this too, especially when swiping between pages on the home screen. Maybe this is one of the drawbacks of having to refresh a 2048 x 1536 display

3. Joe23 macrumors 6502

I've noticed this too. Very noticeable when swiping between home screen pages and quick vertical scrolling (i.e. a list of threads on this forum). A bit annoying but hoping that I'll just get used to it. Perfect device apart from that.

4. mugatu macrumors newbie

Glad I'm not the only one. Thought my eyes were playing up at first and then was worried I had a faulty iPad.

5. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Haven't noticed this. Mine seems butter smooth.

6. gatearray macrumors 65816

Welcome to 2010

:)

The iPad has done this since day one, it's not a unique phenomenon to the new iPad, and it has been present through all the iOS versions since 3.x on the original.

Enjoy your new iPads everyone!

7. mugatu macrumors newbie

Really? Never noticed it on my first gen.

8. bobright macrumors 601

I do notice text can look a bit blurry before clear if you scroll too fast. If you scroll slow it's fine. Weird.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've noticed this on all three of the iPads I bought. Therefore it's got to be a normal characteristic of this model.

Perhaps in time we'll learn what causes it and if it can be improved.

Very interesting.

10. BASTI51 macrumors member