New iPad Display Lottery

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Economist, May 7, 2012.

1. The Economist, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

[​IMG]

I just came across this photo on Apple's forums (bottom of the page). Three 3rd gen iPads with three different color hues.

I've already gone through a pink one, it was returned, and the one I just received has half a good screen and half a yellow screen. Maybe my third iPad will look like the first one in the photo. :D

2. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

I suppose for all those who don't believe there are issues on new iPad screens, here is another example of all these different hues. I just dont get why there is so many variables on a same product. I would likely take anyone of those because I just want a uniformed screen.

3. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It's not that we don't believe, it's that Apple has such a strict quality control check, it is unbelievable to us that people would get 4-10 faulty iPads, while many many people get perfect ones on their first and second tries.

4. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

It can't be that strict if I myself got 2 bad ones , and it's all under normal viewing. I don't do pixel tests or hide under my blankets with lights off and brightness to the max.

Even a second iPad shouldn't be necessary if the quality control is as good as you say, there is certainly an issue that needs to be adressed.

5. NoMoreSony macrumors member

Wish i could have one of those three, at least they have quite uniform displays. I dont care about scratched aluminium cases or yellowish screens untill it still uniform. Three times in a row i've got iPads with bad color uniformity, then gave up and got refund (I hate all of those bad feelings when doing such kind of returns to the shop and never did it before with any Apple product). Nice job, Apple.

6. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I've been through eight because they have all had dead pixels. I am not as picky as others when it comes to screen tint

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

In other words, it's not that you don't believe, it's just that you don't believe.

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

I disagree with this assessment. Its clear that there are screen issues. MANY of them. So, there is no sense in denying the plain facts that have been presented over and over.

What's really hard to believe is that anyone would leave the Apple store without inspecting a replacement. I dont care what Apple's policy is....a replacement should be opened and used. Do the same inspection as you would at home. You cannot convince me that you cannot do so in the store. Ask for the manager and insist on it.

----------

:cool:

9. The Economist thread starter macrumors 6502

The Economist

Screen tint is not a real issue until you start looking at other people's screens. Then you realize how horrible yours is. At least that's what happened to me with my first iPad.

10. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

The yellow screens people are seeing are just the white point you get used to. I went from a "yellow" to blueish iPad and I found it difficult going that way. The white isn't as neutral anymore. Yet most are complaining of the opposite, we're used to seeing the blueish whites and take this as "normal"

11. seajewel macrumors 6502

I disagree because the problem I see in my iPad and in the demo units I checked out at BB is not that the screen is uniformly more yellow, it's that parts of the screen are more yellow, most commonly 1/4 of the screen (like a big corner, etc.). I find this very noticeable and distracting while using iBooks, for instance.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

A simple calibration option in the settings would solve 95% of the iPad issues out there. Failing that turn the brightness up to 75%

13. nph macrumors 6502a

I have been meaning to upgrade my iPad 1 to the new one shortly but seeing all these posts about the display really makes me hesitate.

I am really picky about a screen and my iPad 1 screen is really good (besides not having the Retina display).
    Wonder if this will improve once Sharp displays start showing up in the supply chain of iPads? Weird in the past getting a Samsung display on the MBA for instance was considered the best one you could get!

14. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

And then we will wait for Sharp to stabilise, improve their quality. This looks like never ending viscious cycle.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

Or an app.

16. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

If you're picky about screen technology then the new iPad probably isn't for you. If you're happy with the iPad 1 then I'd wait until this time next year.

To be clear the iPad 3 is a great device. I own one and am typing this reply on it. But I think the iPad 4 will fix a lot of errors in its technology and manufacture. However as with all Apple products, never be the first to buy one! Always wait a month or two at the very least and preferably wait until six months into the manufacturing cycle. My MacBook is the greatest laptop I've ever owned since around 1993 but I bought it right at the end of the cycle before they introduced a new model.

----------

I'm not sure. Calibration can't make a bad screen better. It sacrifices some colour fidelity to make the overall colour balance better. When calibrating to correct a bad default colour balance you're going to be losing some colour data elsewhere in the gamut.

17. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

No, I've opened enough (due To pixels) to know what the screen tint issue is, and I don't mind it as much as the dead pixels, my iPad 2 had it, so I got used to it.

18. The Economist thread starter macrumors 6502

The Economist

You could say it also looks pink because we are used the blueish white. The thing is, why are there thee different color hues? Is Apple cattering to different tastes? I dont think so, lol.

19. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Different screens by different companies have different hues.

20. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Took me 8 attempts to get a decent one. First couple had bad variation of colours and the next 5 had damage and dust. Finally got one with a pretty uniform warmish screen.

But it is a total lottery. Factory and build week play no part.

21. The Economist thread starter macrumors 6502

The Economist

It was a rethorical question.

22. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Color Profiles ( cydia )

23. mustu macrumors 6502

Well I can tell you for sure the one's in the UK have a major issue with the screens from the old batch - I am going to pick up mine today and not sure what to expect... I hope all the issue's are ironed out and I get a decent one or else I will use my old iPad :(

24. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Didn't we tell ya....It is a Lottery !! :D Good Luck Mate ! :p

25. EarlZ macrumors regular

Im guessing 99.99% of the users cannot tell the difference between those 3.