New iPad from iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by katyoshi, Apr 21, 2012.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

My first impression of the new iPad was "eh it's not worth an upgrade and another $829+tax (no tax if I buy from base exchange as a active duty service member). I use my iPad for work and just last week, my area got Verizon 4G LTE! I noticed it on my galaxy nexus phone. Anyway, I use it at work for patient care in primary care. The iPad is such a great tool. In addition, the screen is gorgeous compared the iPad 2. I can actually notice it when I compare the two. I tried ordering this thing from exchange online store, going to Bx, Verizon, best buy in Warner Robins, GA area and nobody had the white verizon 4G 64GB. Finally went to Target today after looking for about a month (besides driving all the way to Atlanta to attempt in getting one), I got one. White Verizon 4G 64GB. I called verizon to transfer my miff hotspot plan to the iPad. Now I have connectivity of verizon all in one device! Hooray. My iPad 2 was with ATT and while it was good, connection was not as great as verizon in many places i went to including my home town in Hawaii. I felt guilty spending $860 (with tax) but then I'd thought, I don't spend big and always try to live below my means. :) With that, I was able to spend on something good for myself. Now...I still gotta travel to Atlanta to purchase apple care +... :( Takes me 1.5 hours and coming from Hawaii, I usually don't drive to another city for more than 30 minutes (no traffic, 45min-1hr with traffic).

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wow, that first part of the drive must have been a bitch!

You know, the Honolulu to San Francisco part...

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I didn't know VZW got LTE in Warner Robins/Macon recently. That might come into play when the new iPhone comes out over the summer. I wonder when AT&T plans to upgrade... Or maybe I'll jump ship... Too bad I like my plan too much to leave. :(

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Both AT&T and Verizon are in the process of an ongoing upgrade. It usually depends on what market area you're in when it comes to rolling it out. I've had AT&T's new service for over six months, and my wife on Verizon, has had theirs for three months. We're lucky to live in an area where both are very strong. A very unusual situation.

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Many of the hospitals I work in or travel to have poor service inside on AT&T and VZW. But I have noticed that VZW usually works better. Plus they cover more cities. But my plan is perfect for me on AT&T, I also have the unlimited data that recently I feel might be even more valuable on LTE with the recent posts that LTE eats up data... It's not that it eats more data it's just that you use it up faster from site to site. But still, I love having my unlimited data, text and min for < $70/mo.

7. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

It used to be you could call Apple and purchase it over the phone. Apparently, they have removed that option! I was trying to save you a long trip and gas, so I chatted with an Apple person. Here is the result!

Me: "I Live 3 hours from an Apple Store and my husband is disabled. If I purchase a new ipad from Best Buy or Target, there is no way i can make such a trip To have my new iPad inspected by a Genius. How can I purchase Apple Care + without doing that?"

Apple rep: "It has to be done in the Apple Store because like you said, they do have to inspect that if you did not purchase that at the time of purchase."

Me: "Ummm how can I purchase at the time of purchase when Best Buy doesn't offer it!!"

Apple rep: "You have to get that from an Apple Store. That is a huge incontinence I understand."

And that is a direct quote. I nearly fell off my chair laughing!

8. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahahaha!!! Really? Incontinence of what? Lol!

9. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

10. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think there was or at least could be abuse of Apple Care + by users who would go on eBay and buy Apple care only so they could have something fixed. Since Apple sells so many iOS devices, they're trying to keep dishonest people from abusing the new accidental damage coverage. I don't fault them for it since I was offered damage coverage at BB when I bought mine. Walmart and Target lack reps to help sell that service so I can see this being an issue for folks buying from either retailer.

11. batotman macrumors 6502

I bought AppleCare+ over the phone for my 4S. Nearest Apple store is 100 miles. Weird if they changed it.