iPad mini New IPad Gen 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Trt740, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Trt740 macrumors newbie

Just bought a mint IPad Mini Gen 1 for my wife. She has never had a IPad before, so for $100.00 I thought it might be a good start for her; however, do you guys think that not getting the newest update IOS 10 will be an issue for her in the near future. Or will the newest IOS 9 be fine for the foreseeable future. What do you think? I could just resell it if you guys think it will be an issue.

Thanks for your impute

2. Skika macrumors 68030

Mini 1 is a horrible purchase in 2016. At least get her the mini 2 which is significantly better in every way. That should last her for at least some time.

The original mini runs on a chip from the iPhone 4S.

3. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

As said above, you made a bad decision to buy a Mini1.

Even if you could update to ios10, I wouldn't.

If you can't sell it or return it, stay on iOS 9.x

4. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

IOS 10 will not run on ipad pads with A5 has A5 has been drop

i would have got in here the ipad mini 4 with a A8 chip

5. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Please return it and get her a 4 she will be much happier with it.

6. awair macrumors regular

iPad mini is great, and a bargain for $100!

Enjoy it and don't get hung up on the details.

We still have the original mini in our family, and I was using it today (because of an iOS 10 software incompatibility). I regret buying my mini 2, because I never filled the 128GB in 2 years of constant use (it was massively reduced in price when I bought it). The screen is a a bit better, but not especially noticeable for day-to-day stuff (Safari/Mail).

I've just bought the (9.7) Pro and am still torn between the mini/standard screen size. The only feature that I am now absolutely dependent on is the fingerprint unlock, which I learned to appreciate from my phone. The pencil is still gimmicky (for my use).

As other posts have highlighted, we still need better software tools to maximise potential. If you're only interested in consumption, the mini is great - if it is to work on, then the larger screen may be an advantage. The app I was using today doesn't do that - it looked better on the mini 2 than the Pro, and the mini was indistinguishable from the 2...

Enjoy!

7. Trt740 thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2016 ---
    Well it truly will just be used similar to a kindle. For Pinterest, Facbook and email as well as light reading. I received it today and it seems to work great. Thanks for all the responses

8. bensisko macrumors 65816

Great! I hope she enjoys it!

It ALL depends on use-case. For what you describe, I'm sure it'll work just fine!
    If she really enjoys it and finds she's pushing the limits of it's capabilities, you can always upgrade later!

9. Trt740 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update!

Okay, the iPad Mini 1st Gen 16gb Wifi works very well, but I picked up a mint 32gb wifi/ cellular enabled iPad Mini 3 Gen for $159.00. I'm sure the first gen will sell for what I payed because it is very nice. Upgrade cost me about $60.00 but it seems like it might be worth it.

Thanks ,

All

10. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Mini1 is ancient...no future in it.

11. Trt740, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016

Trt740 thread starter macrumors newbie

For clarification, it was never meant to have a future. I bought it as a starter tablet for a new user. I realize it is not super powerful and that its hardware is several years old, but it was never meant to be a gaming machine.

Thanks for your impute