New iPad. HD movies or regular?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sal23, Mar 23, 2012.

1. sal23 macrumors member

sal23

I have the new iPad. Is it worth it (or does it even work for that matter) to buy the HD movies on iTunes for $17.99 instead of the regular $9.99 movies???

Other people in my family have iPad 1st gens, so will the movie still play on their's if I purchase the HD movies?

2. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

If you download the 720P version of the movies then it will play on the first gen iPad. If you download the 1080P, you will also need to download the SD version (free download) for them to play it on iPad 1. Whether you can really tell depends on the user. On the small screen of the iPad you might not really be able to see a difference. If you also send the movies to your TV using Apple TV then that would be different.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

IMO, if you're actually buying movies from the iTunes store then get the HD versions and invest $100 into an Apple TV. As amazing as the iPad screen is, a 4:3 aspect ratio makes some movies have ridiculously huge black bars which (to me) hurt the viewing experience so I prefer to watch on a television.