Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
I got the new iPad back in march and have an iPhone 4 and I can't seem to get iMessage to sync from my phone to the iPad.

I have iMessage enabled on both devices and in the iMessage settings on the iPhone I have it set to receive at 2 addresses one being my phone number the other as my Apple ID email address. My iPad shows to receive iMessages at the same Apple ID email address.

But when I open messages on the iPad all I get is blank and the option to write a new message I don't see any of the iMessages that are on my phone.
Am I missing something? :confused:

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I got the new iPad back in march and have an iPhone 4 and I can't seem to get iMessage to sync from my phone to the iPad.

I have iMessage enabled on both devices and in the iMessage settings on the iPhone I have it set to receive at 2 addresses one being my phone number the other as my Apple ID email address. My iPad shows to receive iMessages at the same Apple ID email address.

But when I open messages on the iPad all I get is blank and the option to write a new message I don't see any of the iMessages that are on my phone.
Am I missing something? :confused:

I think your phone iMessages are going to your phone number atm, not your email address. While you have it set to receive at both addresses, until you actively start sending messages via your iTunes email account or someone actively sends it to your email not your phone #, they are being sent to your #. In order to get a synced thread started, I had to send a message from my iPad (I'm sure you can do this on your phone too, but I'm not sure how to get it to send from the email address first) and then afterwards everything coming in was synced. I know that the other party complained that he now had two threads of messages from me, one from my # and one from my email, whereas for me it showed up as one thread on my phone and iPad.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
I think your phone iMessages are going to your phone number atm, not your email address. While you have it set to receive at both addresses, until you actively start sending messages via your iTunes email account or someone actively sends it to your email not your phone #, they are being sent to your #. In order to get a synced thread started, I had to send a message from my iPad (I'm sure you can do this on your phone too, but I'm not sure how to get it to send from the email address first) and then afterwards everything coming in was synced. I know that the other party complained that he now had two threads of messages from me, one from my # and one from my email, whereas for me it showed up as one thread on my phone and iPad.

I have been sending iMessages to people on my phone but and getting replies. So I'm not sure why they're not showing up.

My GF had that problem with the two threads, when she upgraded to iOS 5 and me having both iPad and iPhone she was getting ones from my email. I ended up just telling her to turn it off however I think that problem could be fixed if the person added your email address to your contact in their phone (I haven't tried this yet however).

But I'll try your suggestion and send one via my iPad.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
If your caller ID on the phone is set to your phone number, any messages sent or replied to will only show on your phone.

If anyone sends you a message to your phone number, it only shows on your phone.

If your caller ID is set to the email address (Apple ID), then any messages you send will appear on both devices as will any replies that are sent back to that ID.

I hope that this helps.

Jason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.