New iPad: is 16gb large enough for what I use it for?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by H-B0mb, Mar 15, 2012.

1. H-B0mb macrumors member

Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone can give me some advice. I ordered my first iPad which should be delivered to the UK tomorrow. I ordered a 16gb +wifi model assuming this would be large enough but from reading various posts on this forum its just dawned upon me that that might not be large enough due to the increased app / magazine size to cater for the retina display.

I intend to use the iPad for surfing the web, some apps, reading books, magazines and newspapers. I'll probably store a movie or two, stream my music as I have iTunes match and will only use the photostream for my photo's.

Based on that does anyone who has an iPad already think 16gb is enough or am I better off ordered a 32gb?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you have the extra funds I would get at least the 32GB version. You can not add memory later and from others say the iPad 3 will need a little more memory.

Better safe than sorry in my opinion:eek:

3. jian macrumors regular

IMO, a long as you dont put movies in it, youre ok. I used only 5 gigs....

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I pre-ordered the 16 GB, but after thinking it over, I'm going to try to swap it for a 32 GB tomorrow when I pick it up in the store. You could get by with 16 GB if your needs are minimal, like you don't have too many apps, photos, video, or a huge music library. Or if you mostly use it for web surfing and iBooks (except the new textbooks, which are large).

What you describe sounds like a borderline case, as Stealthipad says, better safe than sorry if you're not sure.

----------

You mean on iPad 2 you only used 5 gigs. Early reviews are reporting retina-enabled app sizes are running 2X to 3X larger. So if you have 5 GB of apps on iPad 2, you're looking at 10 GB to 15 GB, and the OS takes a couple GB. Basically you are out of space already. Photos will also take more space since you'll probably want to export them at a larger size for the new display.

5. jian macrumors regular

I thought about it when I was making my purchase, my budget only allowed me to get a 16g 4g or 32g wifi, oh well...I liked 4G more, and the 5G i have now already included a few apple apps that are optimized for the new ipad, so i hope im ok:cool:

6. Recon73 macrumors newbie

I think your fine I have a 16GB wifi iPad 2. I never came close to filling it. Also keep in mind you get 5GB free of I cloud and can for a fee upgrade to more.

7. fantastistas macrumors newbie

fantastistas

i pre order a new ipad 16gb as well, it all depends the way you use, if you only use it to browse, download some games and applications. It should have been more than enough ;)

8. H-B0mb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your feedback all. I think I'm going to return it and order a 32GB since it's £70 more than the 16GB.

I called apple and they said I have 14 days from delivery to request a return so at least I won't be iPad-less for the entire time I'm waiting for the larger model

I'm also thinking of switching to the White model? For some reason the images of the white model look better than the black. What does everyone think?

9. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

The key is music and video files. If you don't store them on your iPad you will be hard pressed to ever use even 16GB (I don't keep movies or music on my iPad 2 16 GB and have never come close to running out). If you want to be able to tote around all your music and a few movies, then probably a 32GB would work better.

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

As a book reader and for web surfing, you'll be fine. Even with a movie or two, perhaps fine. But you are going to have to stick with the basic apps and be very choosy about what to install and what to not install. That takes away some of the fun of the device personally for me.

11. H-B0mb thread starter macrumors member

I have now ordered a White 32GB Wi-Fi + 4G @ £567.

Based on your comments I thought going for larger model would be the safe option.

Now I have to return my original order.