new iPad @ Macmall?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by niteriderxp, Mar 10, 2012.

1. niteriderxp macrumors member

So I normally buy stuff from Macmall to avoid ~10% sales tax, that's almost $83 on the $830 iPad 64GB + 4G.
    Looked on their website yesterday and saw this:
    http://www.macmall.com/n/The-New-iPad/macCustomPages-5435

At the top it says "Coming March 16" while at the bottom it says "Call your Macmall account executive for more info".
    So I called them today, after 15min on hold got someone who told me to call them back on the 16th.
    Asked him what time (as in hour) I should call and he repeated the 16th.
    Asked him why they put up the call for more information banner now, he had no clue and repeated the 16th.

Is this some sort of bait and switch tactic where they get you to buy something else?

2. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

No. Sounds like the normal corporate internal communications failure.

3. MGTR420 macrumors regular

Does anyone have any more idea on ordering from Macmall? I would also like to avoid paying tax even though I already bought from the Apple Store. I would just return it within its 14 day return policy.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Glad I saw this thread as I will be going with Macmall as well. I do know they're in Cali so I will be checking about 2AM my time to see if they have any in stock at the time and probably every 30 mins to an hour following. It would be nice to avoid the sales tax.

5. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

I totally didn't know about the sales tax at MacMall...I may have to check them out too and see if they will have the one I want in stock come the 16th or days later.

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Just spoke with MacMall:

edeleon@macmall.com: [6:12:26 AM] Hello. My name is Patrick and my extension is 34373.
    I’ll be happy to help you. Please give me a second to check on your question.
    Corey Brewer: [6:12:26 AM] What time will you begin selling The New iPad tomorrow?
    edeleon@macmall.com: [6:12:37 AM] 12 midnight Pacific.
    Corey Brewer: [6:12:47 AM] Thank you very much!
    [6:12:53 AM] Will we be able to order online?
    edeleon@macmall.com: [6:13:08 AM] it could only be placed over the phone.

7. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Phone orders only? Why not just send a catalog and have people mail their order forms....

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Good question, but it's the same thing with the iPad 2. If you want to order one now you have to call. Guess I'll be getting up @ 2AM to make the call 2nite. $500 works for me.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

If you're looking to save sales tax from MacMall fugetaboutit. They now charge sales tax in most all states:

From: PC Connection Express Web Customer Care <customercare@pcconnectionexpress.com>
    Date: Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Subject: RE: iPad 3
    To:

Hello,
    Thank you for contacting us. We sometimes do have stock available on the day Apple releases a new product though we won’t know for sure until that day. You may check back with us on the 16th to inquire as to what might be in stock. We don’t have a pre-order list and due to recent changes in our business operations, we are now required to collect sales tax in most states. All states except Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon at this time.

Sincerely,
    Sue D – Website CS

10. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

They do the phone orders first for new stuff and special sales. I'm thinking it might just be for easier inventory control they can advertise it without getting hammered. They've been doing it for awhile now. Whats funny is there are doing a special sale on other stuff at midnight too.

11. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Yes i remember them doing the same for iPad 2. Do they have the bandwidth to handle the call volume? I know servers can go down for online orders, but relying on people to enter the orders. People are slower than computers and make more errors.

I've never ordered from MacMall, let alone over the phone with them. So I have no idea how they handle it. They could be great for all I know!

12. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

I think thats the point it slows down the ordering because they only have so many.

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

You are absolutely correct. I just attempted to test out the sales tax theory and they were ready to bill me. If that's the case then I can go with another option such as a local retailer and pay sales tax.

14. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

ughh that sucks about sales tax. Just wait until congress signs law for all online transactions to collect state sales tax.

15. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yes, that is the next eventual step and frankly, while I hate the idea, it is the right thing to do.

16. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Ha. that's going to hurt small businesses selling online. They will have to file taxes in every state they ever make a sale to. Sure it's easy for big businesses because they do it already for the most part.

17. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Don't order with Macmall!

Don't do it! I did this with 1st iPad. They took my order and money and didn't have the iPad available to ship but didn't say so. I called back after couple days without shipping notice and they told me it would ship in "next day or two". After they strung me along for about 1.5 weeks, I cancelled order and got in Apple queue.:mad: Never again.

18. jackwins macrumors regular

I've purchased 2 MacBooks (air and pro) from Macmall. I didn't pay sales tax (Missouri) and I received my order 2 days after the order was placed.

19. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yes, that's true. When/if it happens the plan probably would be to have some sort of centralized method of handling the taxes. More than likely it would be done through your home state who would pay the other states. The sales tax submission forms for your state could have a listing of states and their tax rates and you simply fill in the amounts paid to each state which, if you keep any sort of records is simple to do.

You mention it hurting "small businesses selling online," but not having "equal taxation" hurts small business in your city or state
    where it is difficult to be competitive to start with due to the "online" competition not charging tax.

Unfortunately EVENTUALLY there will be some tax equality online. I don't like it either. Maybe a "national sales tax for online purchases" which gets divided among the states? Who know, the only thing for sure is it WILL change sooner rather than later.

20. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

If my NJ company sells to someone in FL, FL buyer pays no sales tax. If a FL business sells to someone in NJ, the NJ buyer pays no sales tax. Both small businesses benefit. Why would you limit competition just to state lines? Why not just encourage commerce to stay within one town?

21. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

I went to place and order for an iPod Touch to test this theory and they don't charge sales tax to Texas. I plan on ordering from MacMall unless this changes.

22. JMark206 macrumors newbie

Macmall vs Macconnection

I think you're getting Macmall mixed up with MacConnection which is associated with PC Connection Express. MacConnection does charge sales tax in all states (where sales tax is collected) but MacMall doesn't.

I think I just lessened my chance at an iPad from Macmall with that bit of good news...

23. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I tested the theory by attempting to place an order and once I got to the very final screen I got hit with the sales tax and shipping charge as well. Doesn't matter anymore now I just ordered a refurbed iPad 2 16GB WIFI from Apple for $370 shipped. I'll hold on to it until the refurbed new iPads hit their website for sale.

24. JMark206 macrumors newbie

Hmm, then perhaps it depends on the state in which you live. I'm in WA, wenth through the same steps and didn't get hit a with a sales tax.

Here's there official word (http://www.macmall.com/n/General-Terms-And-Disclaimers/macNavLinks-315#applicableTaxes)

Applicable Taxes
    Any sales, use or other applicable tax is based on the location to which the order is shipped. If you believe your purchases are not subject to sales tax, please contact your Account Executive for assistance at (800) 622-6255 prior to placing an order.

Seller does not collect sales or use tax in a number of states, including without limit, the states of Oklahoma, Vermont and South Dakota; your purchases may be subject to state and local taxes even though we may not collect such taxes; your purchases are not tax exempt solely because they are made over the internet or via catalog; your ship-to state may require all non-taxed purchases to be reported (for example the states of Oklahoma, Vermont and South Dakota require a customer in these states to report such non-taxed internet or catalog purchases and to pay applicable taxes on such purchases); sales and use taxes are your responsibility; please contact your ship-to states’ taxing authority for tax forms and reporting procedures that may be applicable to your taxable purchases. For additional information please click this link Remote Seller Disclosure MacMall.

25. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I live in Chicago and I know for fact they started charging sales tax some time last year even though they used to not (I bought my MBA from them).

I am pretty sure they charge tax statewide as this topic comes up very often in all macrumors sub-forums.

But hopefully for you there are a couple exceptions :)