iPad mini New iPad Mini 2 only has 16GB or 32GB Options

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
That's because it's the previous model. The only difference between it and the 3, however, are TouchID.
Looking at the refurb section of the Apple store, I see the previous model could be bought with 64GB storage. Unless they made a mistake in the Apple store when you go to purchase a new iPad Mini 2, it looks like Apple is no longer making a 64GB iPad Mini 2.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Looking at the refurb section of the Apple store, I see the previous model could be bought with 64GB storage. Unless they made a mistake in the Apple store when you go to purchase a new iPad Mini 2, it looks like Apple is no longer making a 64GB iPad Mini 2.
They also used to do 128GB.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
I wonder if they are just trying to clear out the 16/32GB iPad Mini 2 before discontinuing them or are they trying to get people to buy the iPad Mini 3 if they want a rMini with more storage ?
I think the later. I don't think they would give a product a new tier if they plan to discontinue it very soon. I think it would be more likely they remove the 1st Gen mini. That really shouldn't be on sale. It's an iPad 2!

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I wonder if they are just trying to clear out the 16/32GB iPad Mini 2 before discontinuing them or are they trying to get people to buy the iPad Mini 3 if they want a rMini with more storage ?
This has always been the case. They have actually been more generous this year than they have been in the past as usually they would only offer the smallest amount of storage. But yes if you want more storage you either have to find a referb or buy the latest version.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
I think the later. I don't think they would give a product a new tier if they plan to discontinue it very soon. I think it would be more likely they remove the 1st Gen mini. That really shouldn't be on sale. It's an iPad 2!
My guess is that the 1st gen mini is gone in February, and the mini 2 gets a price adjustment to $249 at that time. The tech press will all be focused on the Apple Watch, and perhaps the 12.9" iPad that may be released about that time, so it would be a good time to make such a move.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Apple always holds out higher storage options from older devices that they continue to sell new: happens with the iPhones too. The iPhone 5S is available only in 16GB and 32GB; whereas the iPhone 5C is only available in an atrocious 8GB.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
My guess is that the 1st gen mini is gone in February, and the mini 2 gets a price adjustment to $249 at that time. The tech press will all be focused on the Apple Watch, and perhaps the 12.9" iPad that may be released about that time, so it would be a good time to make such a move.
Yes. That would be a perfect time to get rid of the 1st Gen Mini. That'll give people who want to buy one over Christmas the opportunity to and then discontinue it. That would make the iPad line more simple.

iPad Pro
iPad Air 2
iPad Air
iPad Mini 3
iPad mini 2

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Yes. That would be a perfect time to get rid of the 1st Gen Mini. That'll give people who want to buy one over Christmas the opportunity to and then discontinue it. That would make the iPad line more simple.

iPad Pro

iPad Air 2

iPad Air

iPad Mini 3

iPad mini 2

What's an iPad pro?

----------

No it won't get a price adjustment again.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

iPad Pro
iPad Air 2
iPad Air
iPad Mini 3
iPad mini 2
No idea if the Pro will actually happen, but if you are right this makes the lineup as complex as it is currently -- you still have 5 models to choose from. To make the lineup simpler, you need to decrease the number of models.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
No idea if the Pro will actually happen, but if you are right this makes the lineup as complex as it is currently -- you still have 5 models to choose from. To make the lineup simpler, you need to decrease the number of models.
I agree, I would prefer

iPad Pro
iPad Air
iPad mini

as the 3 lines. But, that lineup would mean Apple sells one of each, and a previous version (except pro).

It's good to have low entry points but selling a A5 device in 2014/15 is pretty bad.