Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Here in Japan and a couple days ago I headed into the Osaka Apple Store to pick-up a new iPad Mini 4. It finally has everything I wanted in a iPad mini: more compact size, colour and screen quality, 2GB RAM, and I got a 128GB in space-grey, WIFI / Cellular version which only comes direct from Apple unlocked to the Japan data providers and their (only) 2 year plans (the reason I had to visit the Osaka Apple Store) - will use a SIM provider here that does a month to month SIM plan.

So far I’m very happy, but one thing I have noticed is the colour temperature of the screen and wonder if other new mini 4 owners are seeing this?

The screen colour is very ‘warm’, whites have a district off-white on the yellow side shade of tint. In normal use this does not bother me, but one of the main reasons for the mini is that I plan to use it for hands on photo view sharing (I’m a photographer). My thoughts now are I can live with it, most people would not even see it, but I do.

Does Apple use the same screen manufacture for all their mini 4 screens? Are there any mini 4 screens that differ from this warm rendition? Have you seen this effect on you mini 4 screen?

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
No yellow whites on my Mini 4.

Excellent for photos, as it covers 101% of sRGB...

My bad, Mini 4 is at 101% of sRGB and 2% refelectance: http://www.displaymate.com/news.html#iPad_mini_4

howdy.gif

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Just picked my iPad mini 4 today at the Apple Store. So far everything is perfect. Screen is uniformly white. No yellow tint screens. Previously owned iPad mini 3 and was the worst product I had owned being that screen quality for that wasn't too great.

witchkitten

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
My iPad mini 4 is noticeably warmer than my iPhone 5S. My eyes have now adjusted and I don't see it anymore but the first day it was annoying. I've noticed that every new mobile device I get from Apple has a warmer screen than my the previous devices. The screen on my iPhone 4 was much warmer than the screen on my iPhone 3GS and the screen on my iPhone 5S is warmer than the screen on my iPhone 4. That's why I didn't worry about it. Give it a few days and your eyes will probably adjust.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Was on the train today watching a PBS program and with the 'warm tint' in mind was probably keeping that in the forefront of my viewing experience.

Its a very minor issue and on looking more I see it and don't. Maybe as the above poster says 'my eyes will adjust.'

Over-all I would much rather have a slightly warm look than cool, AND over-all I am very very impressed with the mini 4's beautiful display!

This iPad is really a wonder; just the right size and everything in use I could want. What a great job APPLE did putting this out.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
i agree... compare to my air 2... mini 4 color is a bit warmer.... loot at this coc screen side by side... on the air 2... green is really green.... on mini 4 it is... a bit yellow green...

Untitled by mackie_hanrei, on Flickr

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Just to add... When I'm looking for 'neutral' colour rendition I'm looking at white collars and shirts where I see a hint of 'warmth', bright lights are clear/white. Skin tones are looking good, and colours in general are vibrant and good. It would be nice if I could see a colour palate on the screen to get a better idea of the screen's use of colours. Does anyone know where I could view an extensive colour palate as an app?

The screen is very sharp, really beautiful for that. Again, over-all its a very impressive viewing experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.