Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
I just found and purchased a new keyboard available for the Mini 6 on Amazon, the Greenlaw detachable magnetic keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/GreenLaw-Key...8&sprefix=greenlaw+ipad+mini+6,aps,126&sr=8-3

I’ve had multiple ipad mini keyboards over the years, and I usually come away disappointed. This one is probably the best I’ve used for the mini, but it still has the same problem of trying to squish a keyboard into the size of a mini. The keys aren’t bad, I don’t find myself having to focus and strike the keys hard like I usually do on most 3rd party keyboards. The setup is slightly problematic in that the delete key isn’t on the top row, it’s one row down, and I’m constantly hitting the “=“ button on the top right. The return key is small, and I find myself missing it as well. And good luck finding the apostrophe key, it’s almost always sacrificed on these tiny keyboards.

If you’ve ever used the Zagg keyboard that similarly attached with magnets, you’ll see this keyboard looks very similar. The Zagg had a fatal flaw in that the case around the Mini had very thin plastic edges that cracked. This Greenlaw keyboard solved that problem with a rubbery material around the ipad itself, which will no doubt last longer. It’s too early to tell if the magnets will fall out of the hinge the way they did on the Zagg. The case around the iPad is well done—volume buttons work fine, easy to get to the usb-c, pencil charges, and it’s lightweight and protective.

The whole package, however, is not lightweight. The keyboard isn’t cantilevered, so it’s got to be heavy to keep the ipad from tipping. I haven’t weighed them, but the keyboard + ipad feels as heavy as an ipad pro 11 with Magic Keyboard Folio. Also, the ipad doesn’t go back far enough for me when it’s on my lap and I’m sitting up straight.

There’s also no keyboard backlight. And of course, it’s bluetooth, but it works fine, no lag or trouble connecting.

As I said above, it’s one of the best mini keyboards I’ve used, but it’s still a chore. I love the size of the mini, and wish I could make it my only device, but this combo can’t make it happen given all the drawbacks I mentioned. And I have to admit, I started typing this review on the keyboard, got frustrated and switched to the IPP.

Hope this review helps someone looking for a Mini 6 keyboard!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I saw this one elsewhere and my first thought was - too cramped. I have a lightweight, folding full-sized keyboard that I like for use with my Mini 6 and 2021 12.9 iPP.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
I saw this one elsewhere and my first thought was - too cramped. I have a lightweight, folding full-sized keyboard that I like for use with my Mini 6 and 2021 12.9 iPP.
Yeah I agree, folding keyboards work much better, but I like to type with these on my lap, and folding just doesn’t work in that scenario.

blue66holden

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2022
I just found and purchased a new keyboard available for the Mini 6 on Amazon, the Greenlaw detachable magnetic keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/GreenLaw-Keyboard-Detachable-Bluetooth-Rechargeable/dp/B09PV79TJ1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2XIO41SJHWPFL&keywords=greenlaw+ipad+mini+6&qid=1645910938&sprefix=greenlaw+ipad+mini+6,aps,126&sr=8-3

I’ve had multiple ipad mini keyboards over the years, and I usually come away disappointed. This one is probably the best I’ve used for the mini, but it still has the same problem of trying to squish a keyboard into the size of a mini. The keys aren’t bad, I don’t find myself having to focus and strike the keys hard like I usually do on most 3rd party keyboards. The setup is slightly problematic in that the delete key isn’t on the top row, it’s one row down, and I’m constantly hitting the “=“ button on the top right. The return key is small, and I find myself missing it as well. And good luck finding the apostrophe key, it’s almost always sacrificed on these tiny keyboards.

If you’ve ever used the Zagg keyboard that similarly attached with magnets, you’ll see this keyboard looks very similar. The Zagg had a fatal flaw in that the case around the Mini had very thin plastic edges that cracked. This Greenlaw keyboard solved that problem with a rubbery material around the ipad itself, which will no doubt last longer. It’s too early to tell if the magnets will fall out of the hinge the way they did on the Zagg. The case around the iPad is well done—volume buttons work fine, easy to get to the usb-c, pencil charges, and it’s lightweight and protective.

The whole package, however, is not lightweight. The keyboard isn’t cantilevered, so it’s got to be heavy to keep the ipad from tipping. I haven’t weighed them, but the keyboard + ipad feels as heavy as an ipad pro 11 with Magic Keyboard Folio. Also, the ipad doesn’t go back far enough for me when it’s on my lap and I’m sitting up straight.

There’s also no keyboard backlight. And of course, it’s bluetooth, but it works fine, no lag or trouble connecting.

As I said above, it’s one of the best mini keyboards I’ve used, but it’s still a chore. I love the size of the mini, and wish I could make it my only device, but this combo can’t make it happen given all the drawbacks I mentioned. And I have to admit, I started typing this review on the keyboard, got frustrated and switched to the IPP.

Hope this review helps someone looking for a Mini 6 keyboard!
I'm interested to know how you are finding this keyboard after a few months of use. Any additional commentary? I would miss the backlight - it was great on the Zagg. Does it have CUT/COPY/PASTE short cuts? I mean either CTRL+X/C/V or COMMAND+X/C/V ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.