iPad mini New iPad Mini - Purchase to Resell??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheBing1980, Oct 21, 2013.

1. TheBing1980 macrumors member

TheBing1980

Just wanted to throw this out there....

If the rumors are true and we get a new iPad Mini with retina display in limited quantities... I'm guessing that would motivate some people to purchase the new iPad mini just to resell it for profit.

I remember standing in line at the iPad 2 launch and a group of four guys behind me were all purchasing devices with the intention of selling them on eBay for profit. Things seemed different when the 3 & 4 launched.

I've never had the inclination to purchase, simply to resell.. just never felt right to me.

Does anyone plan to take advantage of the new mini shortage? (If there is a shortage...)

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I'm sure there are folks that will try. Hopefully Apple learned from the iPhone launch and will have a system in place to lessen those attempts from being successful.

3. MLAM macrumors regular

I don't think any iPad has ever been in that much of a demand to drive up costs?

Certainly the iPad mini last year I could get from my local supermarket online if I wanted to from launch day.

4. Macalway macrumors 68010

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think the scalping problem was worst with iPad 2. Then Tim Cook must have gotten his numbers right with iPad 3, because there was enough iPads to go around, and scalpers who had bought up iPads in the hope of reselling them for profit ended up having to return them. There were pictures of people coming to Apple stores with huge stacks of iPad to return. It was quite amusing.

6. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

There's no way this product would cause that kind of economic effect. Even if Kuo predicts they'll be "of short supply" doesn't mean there will be so little being sold that the prices of those available indefinitely increase by over $50. Deflated prices happen a lot more often than inflated ones.

If this was a limited edition product, then you'd have yourself a good situation. But this one won't make you much money at all. You may make a hundred or so grabbing stock of ~4-8 and selling them a couple weeks before christmas, if they even run out in stores.

7. TheBing1980 thread starter macrumors member

TheBing1980

LOL!! I don't have any plans on scalping.

I was asking because I'm replacing two iPads and might get a 3rd for my daughters. Just hoping I can buy that many.

But I can see why raising the topic is somewhat incriminating.

8. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Im hiring homeless people to stand in line for me so i can resell tons of ipad mini retinas.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There seems to be an uptick in scalpers whenever an iPhone or iPad changes physical size or appearance. The iPad 3 looked like an iPad 2. Retina isn't something that inspires gadget lust in photos, and retina was the major difference between the 2 and 3, so people didn't rush for it. It also didn't hurt that there were tons of 3s available at launch.

Lack of scalping of the 3 can also be attributed to the fact that iPads are not a yearly upgrade for most normal people. The iPad 2 was smoking hot when it launched, and it lasted a lot of folks for a good long while.

The iPad mini was massive because it was a new design, and for many people, it hit the sweet spot size wise. Most people I know with a Mini ditched an iPad 2 or 3 for it.

So there are 2 ways to look at the new Mini launch. If it's plentiful, and retina, while there will be a lot of hardcore Apple fan upgraders, many average Mini owners will see it as an esoteric upgrade that's not essential, like the iPad 2>3.

OTOH, if the retina panel yields are truly as low as predicted (and I'm not convinced those low yield rumors aren't Apple marketing department based), there could be a scalpers market.

11. adam83 Guest

I was actually wondering something similar... I wanted to buy 4-5 ipad mini 2s for holiday gifts.

Does apple limit the number you can purchase on release day?

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup, it's usually two per person.

13. adam83 Guest

so could I buy 2 ipads and 2 ipad minis? or 2 total products?

14. VinoGrande macrumors member

It'll be readily available. You won't get more than retail for it. It's a fool's errand to try to profit off of it.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm, I don't know. Never asked that, as I was always buying one device type at a time.

16. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I think you'd be safer reselling launch iPhones, since they are truly global communication devices. Easy to ship, can swap in SIMs from anywhere on the globe, very in-demand item.

iPad mini, who knows, maybe you can resell at a profit, but it's more of a risk.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPad mini is even more global than the iPhone. The cellular models are all unlocked, except in Japan. iPhone, it gets tricky, you need to make sure you buy an unlocked model.