Carrier New ipad mini retina sim

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by traubgator, Jan 7, 2014.

1. traubgator macrumors newbie

I have a new att mini retina with a att sim.
    How do I go about getting a verizon sim? Will verizon store give me one? I only want to use when needed and occasionally sign up.

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Verizon will tell you that your non-Verizon can not be used on their network. Several members have made it happen but they had to jump through hoops to do it. You will need to do some searching on the forum to find your answer.

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If you have an ATT mini it might not have CDMA so if you aren't in a Verizon LTE area it could be a no go.

That said, yes Verizon would likely give or sell you a sim. Though they might demand signing you up for service to get it. If you have an Apple store nearby try them they might have them also (really don't know but if it doesn't hurt to ask)

4. traubgator thread starter macrumors newbie

might be a moot point, as i was just looking at prepaid plans anyway, and att might be the best option. sounds like if i went the verizon route, the best thing to do is do your best to get a verizon sim from somewhere, first activate the sim in a true verizon ipad air/mini retina then switch the sim over to the att ipad.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Please explain this one? I thought the hardware was the same on all retina mini LTE's and Air LTE's sold in the US market. Or are you working from what was true on older versions such as the ipad1 or ipad2?

----------

Which carrier has the best coverage where you need cellular data? How much data will you use per month? Under 200MB/month, T-Mobile is the best choice. If 200MB to 800MB/month, then AT&T on their $25/1GB/90day plan. If 800MB to 1GB then Verizon's $20/1GB/1month plan. I haven't worked the numbers above that as I've only once gone over 1GB in three years of ipad ownership.

BTW, if you can return/exchange your ipad perhaps the best choice is just to go get a Verizon ipad then use T-Mobile, AT&T, or Verizon as best meets your needs.

(Oh and THANK YOU for knowing the difference between "moot" and "mute"! :D)