iPad mini New iPad mini with loose hardware buttons

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chocolatemilty, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Hey all!

So, I just purchased an open-box but practically new iPad mini 2 (was still in the wrap, just shrink wrap seal broken). I've been loving it the last three days so much, but I just found what I believe is an issue - loose hardware buttons. The sleep/wake button, volume buttons, and even the side switch all shift when I put my finger on them. I can run my finger across the volume buttons and can hear them shift as they hit the housing. This never was an issue on my mini 2 still to this day.

Has anyone else encountered this with their mini's? Looks like I'll already have to pay a visit to the Apple Store days after purchase. I just won't want this developing into buttons giving out and movement of the buttons when the iPad moves.

2. cruzmisl macrumors regular

If you do a search on google this appears quite a few times. It may just be due to manufacturing tolerances. Since it doesn't affect functionality I doubt Apple will replace it. Since it was an open box you may just need to return it from where you bought it from if it bugs you that much.

3. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, the Genius Bar replaced it no questions asked for me. By the time I got to the store, the buttons were shaking by just moving the housing, so it deteriorated in a matter of days. The replacement is perfect.