New iPad "mini"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by davidgnomo, Jul 16, 2012.

1. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Maybe I've lost some information ... there's a good amout of leaks reporting a new iPad mini due for next fall : anyone knows if it's gonna have a retina display too ?
    :confused:
    It is supposed to be less expensive than the iPad, I'm wondering if they gonna use a normal screen and not a retina one to make it cheaper ...

2. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Most seem to think that it won't use a retina display in order to keep costs down. However, no one even knows for sure if Apple is going to release a smaller iPad much less what the specs of it will be.

4. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

The leaks are quite strong so I think that a smaller iPad will be launched, but I also think it'll have to be more or less like a normal one (maybe with a bit less disk space) and definitely has to have a retina display if Apple wants to sell it !

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think it needs a retina display to sell. I think Apple needs to price it no more than $300. I think if they go with a display that is 1280X800 (216 ppi) like the Nexus 7 it will be a good choice.

6. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Agreed, but a retina display would help Apple state they're different from all the others ... I dunno if they're gonna use it or not, but in case they do, let's prepare not to see normal screens from Apple anymore (at least for iOS devices)

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

They can always save retina for version II in 2013.

8. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Yeps, but there is no reason why they should postpone the retina display on the mini if they have the technology to put it on now ... would Apple put in stake her credibility towards customers ?

Plus if you save retina for 2013, when you come out with the new Mini with retina people who bought the 1st version would be very upset (knowing they could easily have had it before) especially if the price remains the same or almost the same of the previous version (as Apple often does, i.e. iPhone, iPod, ect.)

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Read this article. it would be much better for Apple to go non-retina and make a cheaper iPad, that way can complete much more aggressively on price with other tablets.
    Then make next version retina.

10. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Don't think it's really an "aggressive price" problem, but I agree that screen scaling could represent some kind of problem ... nothing impossible to solve though, especially if you are called Apple !

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

There are a couple of reasons why this isn't likely going to be a retina mini at first.

1. Apple would need a pretty stout GPU which pushes 4x the pixels
    2. Screen availability isn't going to be the same as a non retina

I've got an iPad 2 which isn't retina. I'm not upset that the new iPad has Retina. I know that i'll get Retina on my next iPad upgrade.

Companies have to make the correct decisions for what they can ship in the near future without regard for the small group of people that will be upset when their product is enhanced in a future version.

12. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

I admit you're probably right : one can always dream though ...

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Indeed. I'd be delightfully surprised to see Retina in an iPad mini and I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

14. knucklehead, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Probably the best argument against a retina release is that they already have a die-shrunk chip in the iPad 2, which would work in a non-retina mini just fine.

A retina mini would seem to require the iPad 3 to be die-shrunk - which I suppose could be done, but I don't know how close that might be.

Plus how close an IGZO retina display going into production isn't demonstrated yet, AFAIK.

First generation owners always seem to scream at the second generation release ... :p

Edit: All just a way of saying - non-retina easy right now, retina could probably be done with a bit of a question mark.

15. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

3. Power. Retina will use a lot of power, hard to put that much battery in a tiny case.

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes but until IGZO displays ship we don't have an idea about how much power they save. Sharp is claiming a 63% power reduction in displays larger than the purported iPad mini.

17. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Somewhat - In these devices the battery's area is proportional to the screen size that it's powering. You can always make it thicker if needed, as the iPad3 proved.

18. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

As of now, I'm 85% confident that Apple will indeed release a smaller iPad this fall. As for retina display, I am pretty sure Apple will omit it in the first gen., if anything, to keep the costs low.

19. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Yes, there won't prolly be a retina display in a hypotetic new iPad mini, but NO, I don't think it's gonna like this be for a "cheaper device" reason ...

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I agree that it now appears apparent that Apple will be delivering a smaller iPad.

I disagree with the assertion that it _has_ to have retina.

The world does not revolve around retina displays no matter how nice they may be. In order to maintain the huge gross profit margins that Apple typically does, there's no room for retina.

If at some point in the future Apple changes it's mind, increases the price as they did with the MBPr, then retina will be a good possibility.

Recent speculation suggests the most likely price point for the 7" iPad will be $299. That's a full $100 premium over the Nexus 7. Those that buy this size of tablet, are more price sensitive than those that buy the larger size.

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm guessing that it'll only be a $50 premium over the 16GB Nexus 7. I don't see Apple delivering only 8GB for the entry level iPad mini

22. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Plus I'd pay more to have retina, even the same price as Nexus ... maybe I'm the only one who thinks like that, maybe not ...

I mean ... if for the same price of a Nexus tablet I could get something similar but with a retina display and the Apple trademark, I imagine people would love it !

23. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I was talking about manufacturing costs, not selling price. Apple always seeks to maximize profits, and the iPad retina display costs 40% more than regular iPad display.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple make an 8GB base model and prices it at $200.

An ~8" tablet with 2K display for a mere $200 is a pretty tall order, don't you think?

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Uh, sorry, more than what? The Nexus is selling for $200, right? Was there other tablets selling for less than the Nexus?