New iPad -- My "syncing computer" in storage.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by prairiefire, Oct 19, 2011.

1. prairiefire macrumors member

I have a new iPad 2 and have a question about syncing and setting up.

I've just moved and my desktop computer (#1) which has been the base for iTunes and syncing my iPhones is in storage for an indeterminate period of time.

I am working on my MBP (#2).

I have been told, over and over, that I cannot sync the phone or, I assume, the iPad to both computers (1 and 2).

I have a clone of my desktop computer (1) from which I can boot my MBP (2).

I set up the iPad using the MBP (2) but did not sync and have not synced from it.

What is the best strategy for the next few months? Ultimately, I will want my desktop (1) to be the "home" computer for the phone and iPad.

But, I want to upgrade to IOS5 and download the iWork programs, asap.

In an ideal world, I'd be able to work on the MBP (2) for the next couple of months and switch back to the desktop, later. But, I can't see a way to do this.

The only path I see is to boot the MBP (2) from the clone of 1. Will that work?

Is that the best way?

Can any of you see a path where I can have my cake and eat it too?

Thank you.

sjh

2. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have my iPad set up to sync on 2 laptops. I initially set it up on my netbook but my husband took it overseas so I set it up on the old laptop I still had here.
    Was not an issue. All you need to do is install iTunes and the authorize the computer. Then transfer your purchases, sync and backup. I think the only issue is if you try to have 5 or more authorized. You would then need to unauthorized one. I think 5 is the number but someone else can verify or correct that.

3. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I believe you are correct on all points.

4. prairiefire thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the Advice -- A further question

My music and video files are not on my laptop -- they are on a hard drive in the desktop.

They are on my iPhone. Is there a way I can sync the iPhone to the laptop, it has never been synced to the laptop -- only the desktop -- with the music moving from the phone to the laptop? My fear is that in syncing the phone, it will give priority to the laptop and wipe out my music on the phone.

Once it is in iTunes on the laptop, it seems to me I should be able to sync it all to the iPad under your instructions.

Thanks so much for all of the help.

Steve

5. Kupp, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

Kupp macrumors regular

As far as video files, you could always drop them into other video player apps, like CineXplayer of AVplayer HD.

Syncing doesn't touch the content of those types of programs, so they don't need to be on the computer you are syncing from.

6. karma13612 macrumors member

DiskAid

Anybody familiar with this product?

I put lots of great music on my iPad from my PC laptop.

Music is no longer on Laptop. My fault.

How can I get the music from my iPad to Appear in my laptop iTunes Library?

Hubbie found an app called DiskAid. Anyone heard of it? Are they reputable??

Thanks!