new iPad, no wifi and iTunes won't detect pics

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RG Smith, Feb 1, 2012.

1. RG Smith macrumors newbie

Hello friends, new iPad user here. My mother-in-law gave me a 2nd gen iPad she got for Christmas in 2010. She used it for pictures only and never got on the internet with it. At my house I have a wireless router set up. So I go in to settings, turn wifi capability on, etc. I think I have it set up correctly. When I double tap the Google to open a browser, it blinks very quickly and then disappears. Basically, I can't open a browser or get on the internet. Unless I am doing something wrong.

The second thing is that I want to remove all of her pics and put them on her PC. She has iTunes and and iPod but I can't get her PC to read her pics on the iPad.

Any help/ guidance is greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

Roger

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

2nd gen iPad is released in 2011. So what you got is first gen.

To access photos, use iPhoto on a Mac.

3. RG Smith thread starter macrumors newbie

well...

I think it is 2nd gen.
    model info:
    a1395
    Model MC769LL
    version 4.3.5 (8L1)

What about the internet browser issue?

I don't have a mac so what alternative way can I remove the photos?

4. Mike4AU macrumors member

Have you logged in to your router? If your iPad is a second gen, it will have two cameras (front and back).

Have you synced your iPad to itunes? Pics ought to be there if they are stored on the iPad. Is it possible that the pics are actually on something like Photobucket?

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

If you can get the wifi connection to work there will be a few options available to get the photos to your pc, so I think it would be best to fix that first.

When you turn on wifi do you get a list of networks to choose for joining ?

6. taipan61 macrumors 6502

well the first thing i'd do is check to see if it is a 1st or 2nd gen, like a previous poster stated, check for the cameras.
    then i'd back it up on her computer using itunes, while connected to itunes you should be able to see if her photos are stored on the ipad, when i sync mine to my pc it backs up my photos to a separate folder, you can also use windows explorer to look at the photos on the ipad (usually under my computer)
    then i would do a restore and set up as a new ipad (again in itunes)
    good luck and good night

ps, just my .02

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Just to clarify, the model number the OP provided IS for the iPad 2. But to the OP: other posters were correct in saying the iPad 2 was released in March 2011, so it's not possible that it was bought in December 2010.

8. RG Smith thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, she must have used a gift card she got for Christmas in Dec 2010 or something like that. I'm going to ask here. Regardless, it is gen 2.
    Thanks for all the comments.

Has anyone experienced the issue with the internet browser? Even if wifi isn't available, wouldn't I be able to open a browser? When I try to open the browser it just blinks, very fast, so fast you can hardly see "google" then it just doesn't open.

9. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

That is not normal for the browser to blink, even if there is no wifi. What browser are you using ? Have you tried Safari ? Have you tried rebooting the iPad ?

If it is an iPad 2 then it will still be under warranty, should you need to return it. It might be easier for you to make an appointment at an Apple store and have them look at it for you.

10. BrennerM macrumors regular

Usually when an app blinks open and closed like that it often means that you don't have the credentials (Apple ID/pwd) originally used to purchase the app. I would personally recommend doing a restore from new using iTunes to reset the iPad to factory conditions unless you really want to use your mother-in-law's Apple ID.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I can't believe so many people have given you the wrong info, and nobody's shown up to correct it before now. In order to get pics off the iPad, DO NOT SYNC WITH ITUNES. Syncing with iTunes will DELETE any pics that are on the iPad. If the pics are in the iPad's camera roll, then connect the iPad to a PC with an USB cable, ignore iTunes if it comes up, and open Windows Explorer. The iPad should show up as a camera. Drill down the folders until you see the pictures, and copy them to your PC.

If the pics are in albums other then the camera roll, they came from some other computer(s) which were synced to the iPad at some point. There's no "official" way to get those off the iPad, they are copies of files that should be on a computer somewhere, so they are treated as temporary copies, and you are supposed to retrieve them from the original computer if you want them.

12. RG Smith thread starter macrumors newbie

ut oh

i think i royally screwed up. kind of embarrassed here. i reset all the settings in an effort to delete everything and start from scratch, now all the apps are gone. when i plug it in, it just has an arrow pointing to iTunes, suggesting to connect to iTunes. That's all I can get it to do now. How bad did I really goof here?

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You just deleted everything off the iPad, including the operating system, all the apps, and any media, data, pics, etc that were on the iPad. You need to connect it to a computer, start iTunes, and restore it. Once you do that, you'll have an iPad in a "fresh from factory" state.