New iPad not OLED?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thecore762, Oct 30, 2018.

1. thecore762 macrumors 6502

Super premium price but no OLED?
    I think I might stick with the 10.5”.

2. streetskooler macrumors member

Yup me too. I love my IPP but I think I’ll wait for next year. I figure what else could they possibly do to update besides switch the screen to OLED?

3. LiveWireless macrumors member

:( this is most sad. Still I think I want to try one size, just can't decide which one.

4. thecore762 thread starter macrumors 6502

Until they come up with OLED I think I’ll pass.
    Just not enough upgrade from my 10.5 which is plenty fast.

5. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Keep in mind that OLED would mean:
    - no more 120hz ProMotion
    - less accurate color for designers
    - an even more ridiculous price
    - PWM, which bothers the eyes of a sizable minority

Personally I have the Max and think OLED is completely overrated. I’d refuse to buy a Pro without ProMotion.

6. thecore762 thread starter macrumors 6502

I love OLED, I have an OLED LG tv which is amazing, blacks on my tv and the iPhone max look amazing, so going from OLED to LCD is a huge disappointment.
    They can still achieve 120hz on OLED, just like some of the LG OLED TVs. Also it’s not like Apple is using ProMotion on everything.

I do agree pricing is at an all time stupidness, honestly I would have jumped and upgraded from my 10.5 if this had OLED.
    It’s a positive move by Apple to add usb-c support, but at the same time it’s a dumb thing to not have 3D Touch, I miss the haptic feedback when using the iPad. It’s a nice feel on my iPhone max and Apple Watch series 4.

7. Applefan2015 macrumors member

Applefan2015

I was hoping to see OLED in the new iPad

Just need to decide if I want to change my 1st gen iPad Pro or wait till one is announced with OLED in the future

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t forsee Apple using OLED for the iPad, and this is more indicative that they either don’t have the necessary suppliers or they are waiting for Micro-LED for the next iteration of iPad displays, which is my guess.

9. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

I disagree with this. I can see it sooner than later. Microled is even further off I believe.