new iPad not waking up with smart cover

micb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Hi All,

just switched my iPad 2 to the new iPad last night.
Really nice piece of kit :)

However, the new iPad is not waking up automatically when the smart cover is lifted up.... Was working perfectly on my iPad 2....

Anybody else experiencing the same issue ? :confused:

micb1

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Hi All,

just switched my iPad 2 to the new iPad last night.
Really nice piece of kit :)

However, the new iPad is not waking up automatically when the smart cover is lifted up.... Was working perfectly on my iPad 2....

Anybody else experiencing the same issue ? :confused:

micb1
3rd party smart cover or one from Apple?

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Make sure the function is turned on under the "General" tab in you settings.

Rogue.

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Telford. UK.
Not sure, but I think the magnet is in a different place on the 3rd gen iPad.

The Belkin case I purchased yesterday claimed it was for 3rd gen but auto sleep/wake does not work. The contact is there in the case, but in the wrong place.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
No doubt the magnet sensors are different. It has surprised a lot of the case makers as my new Targus slime case that say it is for the new iPad 3 fits perfectly but does NOT turn the device on and off. For near $50, it will be going back to Amazon.

Amazon is selling 3rd party covers and they do not work either.

micb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Just tried with my wife proper Apple smart cover and it works on the new generation iPad...

So the third party smart cover fits but do not wake the new iPad...

Arg... Apple is a bit too good at protecting its product against third party accessories...

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
This got me scared. I pre-ordered the new STM Skinny which says it will work with the On/Off feature. I hope it works or I'll have to return it...

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I have a green smart cover I bought from eBay and it doesn't work with the new iPad, annoying!

It says 'Made by Apple....', I thought they were supposed to work still?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Just tried with my wife proper Apple smart cover and it works on the new generation iPad...

So the third party smart cover fits but do not wake the new iPad...

Arg... Apple is a bit too good at protecting its product against third party accessories...
Apple made a change and did of tell anyone.

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
It's OEM. Report the seller and get your money back.
Sorry just looked it says: Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China
and it works perfectly with the iPad 2, and sticks to the new iPad but just doesn't wake/lock.

I bought it before Christmas so even if it is a fake, I can't be bothered with the hassel, I'll just give it to my Dad who has now got my iPad 2. :)

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry just looked it says: Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China
and it works perfectly with the iPad 2, and sticks to the new iPad but just doesn't wake/lock.

I bought it before Christmas so even if it is a fake, I can't be bothered with the hassel, I'll just give it to my Dad who has now got my iPad 2. :)
Definitely fake because the real smart cover is confirmed to work with both iPad 2 and the new iPad, but if you don't mind the fact it's fake I guess it's OK. :p

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Definitely fake because the real smart cover is confirmed to work with both iPad 2 and the new iPad, but if you don't mind the fact it's fake I guess it's OK. :p
Ahh, I thought it was supposed to work - yeah I don't mind, I did get it pretty insanely cheap (along with several hundred other people!) so it's cool :)
Thanks for your help :)